Child-Size Apron & Chef's Hat
- 5/8 yd Fabric A
- 5/8 yd Fabric B
- 3" of 1"-wide elastic
- 5"x22" fusible interfacing
- Sewing machine
- Iron, pressing surface
- Basic sewing supplies
DIRECTIONS: RS = Right side(s)
1. From Fabric A cut 21"x17". At top of apron, measure in 4" on each side & mark. Measure down 9" on each side & mark. Cut diagonally from 4" mark to 9" mark on each side.
2. Using 1/2" seam, sew front & back, RS together, around cut edges, leaving opening in diagonal cut for turning. Trim corners, turn RS out & press.
3. Press each diagonal side under 1" and edge stitch to form casing for strap.
4. For strap: Cut four 3"x22" strips. With RS together using 1/4" seam, sew ends together into one long strip.
5. Press strip in half lengthwise, open & press edges to center.
6. Turn ends under 1/4"; press. Edge stitch along edges of strap.
7. From one side, slide strap up through casing, then down through the other side.
1. From Fabric B cut a 22" circle for hat and a 5"x22" strip for hat band.
2. Iron interfacing to band. Sew5" ends together with a 1/2" seam. Press one edge 1/2" for facing.
3. Mark center, back & sides on the circle and band.
4. Gather around circle.
5. With RS together, matching center, back & sides, pull gathers to fit & sew hat to band with 1/2" seam.
6. Mark 3" on each side of back seam and stitch elastic edges to facing. Turn facing up & slip stitch around band.