Child's Overnight Bag
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/2 yd Fabric for bag (A)
- 1/4 yd Contrasting fabric (B)
- 3-1/2 yds of 1/4" cording cut in half
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- From fabric A, cut 2 pieces 13"x17".
- From fabric B, cut 2 pieces each: 13"x5"; 13"x3"; 4"x4".
- Press under 1/2" on one long edge of 13"x5" piece.
- Place over lower edge of 13"x17" piece, matching raw edges. Baste bottom and sides. Repeat with remaining pieces.
- Top stitch along turned-under edge.
- Fold 4"x4" pieces in half; press. Open out then fold edges to center, fold and edge stitch long edges, making two pieces 1"x4".
- Fold in half to make loops and place one on each side of raw edge 1-1/2" up from bottom to make front. Baste.
- On top, measure down 2-1/4" and carefully clip in 1/2" on each side.
- Sew right side of 13"x3" piece to wrong side of front piece along the top edge. Repeat with back.
- On both front and back, press seams open and fold side edges in 1/2" above clip. Top stitch 1/4" from edge along the folds.
- Press under 1/2" on top raw edge of both front and back. Fold along seam line and press.
- With right sides together, sew sides down from clipped edge and across bottom of bag, reinforcing corners and clipping as needed. Finish seams with zig-zag as desired.
- Turn right side out, edge stitch contrast to top at fold and also stitch 1/4" from top edge.
- Thread cording through one side of top, down through loop then through other side of top. Knot ends of cording together. Repeat with other side.