Citrus Burst Layered Cake
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
• 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, softened
• 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
• 3 eggs
• 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon lemon zest
• 1 teaspoon lime zest
• 1 teaspoon orange zest
• 1 cup orange juice
• 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
• 6 tablespoons butter, softened
• 2 cups (about 1/2 lb.) sifted confectioner's sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
• 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
• 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
• 1-2 tablespoons lime juice
• 1-2 tablespoons orange liqueur (optional)
• 1 jar (10 oz.) lemon curd
• Basic cooking supplies
• Wilton Easy Layers!™ Cake Pan Set
• Wilton Cooling grid
• Cake board or serving plate
Makes about 8 servings
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare Easy Layers!™ cake pans with vegetable pan spray.
2. In large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Add vanilla and citrus zests; mix well. Add flour mixture alternately with orange juice, beating until just combined. Divide evenly into pans.
3. Bake 18-21 minutes, rotating pans half way between baking. Cakes are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pans on cooling grid; remove from pans and cool completely.
4. For filling, beat shortening and butter in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add citrus zests, juice and, if desired, liqueur; beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
5. To assemble, cut the crowns off of each cake layer. Place first layer on cake board or serving plate. Spread a layer of icing to edges of cake. Top with second cake. Spread a thin layer of lemon curd to edges. Repeat, alternating layers of icing and lemon curd. On top cake, spread a layer of icing, followed by a layer of lemon curd. Garnish, if desired, with lemon wedge and mint leaves.