Clay-Embellished Garden Journal
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 2 blocks Sculpey III clay, one color darker than the other.
- Scrapbook paper: 2 sheets with matching pattern 1 sheet coordinating pattern 2 sheets for lining covers
- Garden-themed rubber stamp and stamp pad
- Three fibers, 1 yd ea
- Studio by Sculpey Super Slicer or craft knife
- Studio by Sculpey acrylic roller
- Clay pasta machine
- Metallic gold marker
- Ultra fine glitter
- Composition notebook
- Rub-on letters or stickers
- White craft glue
- Wooden skewers
- Index card
- Conventional or craft oven and oven thermometer
- Condition clay by kneading in small pieces one at time, until warm, rubbery and shiny. Use acrylic roller or clay pasta machine to roll clay 1/16" - 1/8" thickness.
- Ink rubber stamp and gently press into clay. Trim embellishment with Super Slicer or craft knife. Make as many embellishments as desired.
- Bake embellishments on foil-lined baking sheet 10 minutes at 275 degrees F. Allow to cool.
- Detail embellishment edges with metallic gold marker.
- Two colors of clay are used with a little extra fine glitter added in.
- Roll clay to 1/16" thickness.
- Use Super Slicer or craft knife to cut five or six 1/2" by 2" triangles.
- Place wood skewer at wide end of triangle and roll onto skewer. Repeat for each bead.
- Accordion fold index card. Balance beaded skewers on the card so they don't develop flat spots as they bake.
- Bake beads at 275 degrees F for 10 minutes. Allow to cool. Remove from skewer.
- Detail bead edges with metallic gold marker.
COMPLETING THE JOURNAL:
- Cover front of notebook all the way to the spine with glue stick. Line paper up with spine and smooth down over glued area. Trim paper to one inch beyond the cover.
- Open notebook. Make small cuts in the paper around the corners. Cover overlapping paper with glue stick and adhere to inside cover. Line inside covers with paper, covering any raw edges.
- Rip one edge of coordinating paper and use glue stick to attach it along side (see hydrangea paper in photo). Repeat process for the back.
- Attach embellishments to journal using strong white craft glue.
- Add words "Garden Journal" using rub-on letters or stickers.
- Tie all three fibers around the front cover next to the spine. Make a double knot.
- Attach beads at various lengths. Not every fiber needs to have a bead attached.