Clever Cat Toy
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Two 10-1/2"x8-1/4" Pieces of suede: 1 black, 1 tan
- Four 40" Leather laces
- 5 Bells
- Five 10mm Jump rings
- Sharp scissors
- Marking pen
- White chalk
- 1-1/2" piece of clear tape
Trace feather patterns (see PDF) onto cardstock and cut out.
- Trace feather patterns on suede and cut out. Use white chalk to trace on black suede and marking pen on tan suede. Cut on slanted lines toward center to "feather" them. Cut the small slit in the base of the feather. Cut: 1 large tan feather, 2 medium black feathers, 2 small black feathers, 2 medium tan feathers, 2 small tan feathers.
- Using a small piece of tape, tape the ends of 3 leather laces together at one end and braid tightly 7-1/2".
- Fold braided leather lace area into a loop and hold tightly. Cut off 2 of the leather laces, leaving the third one hanging.
- The braided area is now a loop (handle). Tie a leather lace around the two ends of the braid. Wrap the lace tightly around the bottom of the handle about 1-1/2" and tie the end as tightly as you can. Refer to (PDF) photo.
- Attach a jump ring to each of the 5 bells.
- Working at the end of the hanging leather lace, put the end of the lace through the small slits of a medium black feather and a small tan feather. Slide them up to within 8-1/2" of the bottom of the braided handle. Using one of the cut-off leather laces from step 2, put one end of it through the jump ring of a bell. Tie this feather bundle in place, pulling the lace as tightly as possible. Use pliers to pull tightly, but be careful not to pull too tight which could cause the leather lace to break. Trim the leather lace ends when secure.
- Following the previous step, add 1 tan medium feather, 1 black medium feather and 1 small tan feather. Slide them into place 16-1/2" below the bottom of the braided handle. Place two bells onto the leather lace and tie this feather bundle in place as done in the above step. When secure, trim ends.
- Following step 7, add 1 large tan feather, 1 medium tan feather and 2 small black feathers. Pull the end of the leather lace up through the feathers and fold up. Put two bells on the lace before using another lace to tie this bundle in place. Wrap and tie the leather lace until secure. Trim ends. See (PDF) photo for reference.
Clever Cat Toy is rated out of 5 by 1.
Rated 5 out of 5 by Teresa from Savannah Cats and their Toys ! My cats are really rough on their toys because they are quite big so this project worked out perfect for my home. I substituted some elastic for the top of it so that it could be hung from a door knob and provide movement to keep the cats interested ! I am now going to make the leather mouses.. mice?? :) Teresa
Date published: 2009-05-15