Color Swirl Clay Jewelry
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Fimo soft clay: 2 blocks each of cognac, sahara, 1 block of black
- 12" elastic cord
- 27" leather cord thin enough to fit through the wooden beads
- 1 pair of earring backs
- 1 adjustable ring base
- Wooden beads, 3/4" & 1/2" diameter
- Polymer clay oven
- 1 baking tray
- 1 smooth tile to serve as a work surface
- Rubber or acrylic roller
- Assorted circle cutters
- Craft knife
- Craft glue
- Roll out half of the individual Fimo soft clay colors to make sheets of varying thicknesses. Cut each the same size and place on top of each other in this order: 4mm sahara, 2mm cognac 1mm black. Roll up together to form a cane. Cut this in half to separate into 2 canes.
- Use a credit card or knife on one of the canes to make 8 indents right up to the center, making it look like a flower. To make this flower smaller, simply roll the cane thinner. Use the other cane as it is to cut beads 1/8" thick.
- With the craft knife, cut approx. 2mm slices of the cane and cover the wooden beads with them. Next, roll the decorated wooden beads in your hands until the surface is smooth. Use a toothpick to clear the holes.
- Roll out the remaining bits of different-colored Fimo soft clay to approx. 2"x6" sheets. Cover these sheets with more of the "flower" slices and roll over until smooth. Use the circle cutters to cut shapes out of the flattened sheet. Using the toothpick, make a hole through all of the beads, except for one, before hardening.
- Place all the beads on the baking tray and put in a preheated oven for 30 minutes at 110°F/230°C to harden.
- Assemble the necklace by stringing the finished beads on the leather cord. Tie a knot in the cord as you string the beads to fix them in place. Assemble the bracelet by sliding the beads onto the translucent cord. Glue the bead without a hole onto the ring base.