Colorful Beach Bag
- 54" home decor fabric:
5/8 yd main fabric
3/4 yd lining & trim fabric
- Basic sewing supplies
- Iron, pressing surface
- Sewing machine
Optional for rope handles:
- 2 yds of 3/8" white cord
- 4 small white plastic grommets
DIRECTIONS: Seam allowances 1/2". RS = Right side(s). WS = Wrong side(s).
Main fabric: Two 19"x21" rectangles
Lining & trim fabric: Two 19"x21" rectangles for lining
Two 6"x21" rectangles for bottom
Four 2-1/2"x17" strips for handles (don’t cut if making rope handles)
1. Press edge under 1/2" on 1 long side of bottom rectangles. Place 1 on RS of each main fabric rectangle making a double layer at the bottom. Top stitch pressed edge in place.
2. Press 1/2" seam allowance on the 4 long edges of handle strips. WS together, pin 2 handle strips. Top stitch each long edge. Repeat with the 2 remaining handle strips.
3. Beginning at the top edge, with handle facing downward, pin & stitch each end of handle 6-1/2" from side edges. Repeat for other side.
4. RS together, pin front & back fabric rectangles together. Stitch bottom & side seams.
5. RS together, pin front & back lining rectangles together. Stitch side seams.
6. RS together, pin outside of bag to lining at top edge; stitch around the top. Turn RS out, press and topstitch.
7. Turn lining side out; stitch across bottom & tuck lining inside.
8. Squared corners: Fold out bottom corners, center seams & stitch at 3" point on each side of seam. Turn RS out.
9. Optional Rope Handles: Skip steps 1 & 2. Follow directions on grommet package. Place grommets near the top edge of tote, 6" from the side seams on both sides of the tote.
10. Cut two 30" lengths of cording & tie a knot 6" from each end. Slip one end through a grommet & tie a knot on the end. Repeat with other cord ends to finish the handles.