Colorful Hearts Layered Cake
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Wilton® food-crafting supplies
- Easy Layers!™ Cake Pan Set
- 10"x16" Cooling Grid
- Cake Leveler
- 6" Cake Circles
- 13" Angled Spatula
- White Ready-To-Use Decorator Icing — 4.5 lb. Tub
- White Decorator Preferred™ Fondant (7 oz. used)
- 8-Color Icing Colors Set (Sky Blue*, Lemon Yellow*, Orange used)
- Icing Colors: Red-Red, Rose*, Kelly Green*, Moss Green*
- Roll-N-Cut Mat
- 9" Fondant Roller
- Hearts Mini Fondant Cut-Outs Set (large heart mini cut-out used)
- 12" Disposable Decorating Bags
- Cake Decorating Tip 2
- Favorite cake mix (1 mix needed)
- Food-safe scissors
*Combine Lemon Yellow with Moss Green for light green shown. Combine Rose with Sky Blue for dark pink shown. Combine Kelly Green with Sky Blue for lime green shown.
- Make layered cake. Prepare batter following recipe directions. Bake cake layers in pan set and allow to cool according to pan package directions. Level cake layers.
- Ice layered cake. Place a cake layer, cut side down, on cake circle. Use spatula and white decorator icing to ice top of layer smooth and stack next layer. Continue icing and adding layers until cake is stacked. Use spatula and icing to ice cake smooth and to create spiral technique on top of cake.
- Make fondant hearts. Tint 1 oz. white fondant each sky blue, red, dark pink, light green, rose, orange and lime green. Use fondant roller to roll out each color, separately, 1/32 in. thick. Use large heart mini cut-out from set to cut 25 shapes from each color.
- Decorate layered cake. Use tip 2, a cut disposable decorating bag and icing to attach hearts tightly together in a random color pattern to side of cake.
Project Tip: Use Wilton 5-Pc. Decorator Brush Set and Pearl Dust Edible Accents to add some shimmer to the fondant hearts before you attach them to the cake.