Contemporary Chic Quilt
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 2-1/2 yds Running 8ths fabric for quilt center and outside border
- 1 yd fabric for inner flap border and binding
- 3-1/2 yds fabric for backing (pieced crosswise)
- Basic sewing supplies
- SIZE: 54"x65"
- Quarter inch seam allowance used throughout
CUTTING – Running 8ths fabric:
- Cut one 54" x width of fabric rectangle for quilt center.
- Cut remaining fabric along pattern lines for border. Inner border/binding fabric:
- Cut five 2" strips for flap border.
- Cut six 2-3/4" strips for binding.
- With right sides together, stitch short ends of inner border strips together. With raw edges and wrong sides together, press along long side of strip. Measure length of quilt center and cut two strips. With raw edges together, stitch to sides of quilt center. Repeat for top and bottom of quilt center overlapping side pieces.
- Piece border strips together along short edges. Measure across width of quilt center, cut two border strips and sew to top and bottom of quilt center. Repeat for quilt sides.
- Piece backing together as needed.
- Layer quilt backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt as desired.
- With right sides together, stitch short ends of binding strips together. Fold in half lengthwise with wrong sides together and press. Stitch to quilt sandwich with right sides and raw edges together. Press and turn edge to quilt back. Stitch in place.