Cookies for Santa Place Mat
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/2 yd black cotton fabric
- 1/2 yd cotton print fabric for backing
- 2 fat quarters
- 5"x10" fabric remnant
- 1/2 yd heavyweight stabilizer
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
- Crayola® Beginnings Washable Triangular Crayons for pocket
1. Cut black cotton fabric, stabilizer and backing fabric to 14"x20".
2. Cut 2 pieces of inside border fabric 3/4"x13 1/2" and 2 more pieces 3/4"x19 1/2".
3. Cut 2 pieces of outside border fabric 1 3/4"x14" and 2 pieces 1 3/4"x20".
4. Using pencil and ruler, draw an outline 1" in on all four sides of black fabric place mat. Pin stabilizer to back.
5. With right sides together and using pencil outline as a guide, sew inside borders to short sides of place mat. Press borders open. Repeat with top and bottom of place mat. Press open.
6. With right sides together and using edge of inside border for guide, sew outside borders to short sides of place mat. Press open. Repeat with top and bottom of place mat. Press open.
7. Cut out the provided heart-shaped pocket pattern. Trace pattern onto wrong side of pocket fabric. Fold in half with right sides together, sew around heart on drawn line. Leave opening for turning. Cut out heart 1/4" from stitching. Clip curves, turn right side out, press.
8. Place pocket on place mat in lower left corner. Top stitch to place mat leaving top open for crayon.
9. With right sides together, sew backing fabric to bordered place mat; leave 6" opening at bottom for turning. Clip corners and turn right side out. Press and slip stitch opening closed.
10. Top stitch all around place mat.
11. Write message to Santa using Crayola® Beginnings Washable Triangular Crayons. Wash place mat to remove message.