Finished size 7“ x 9“
Note: Directions are for measuring tape and ribbon bag, (where measuring tape only bag differs the directions will be in parenthesis).
1. Cut 5 tape measures into three 20“ lengths, removing metal ends.
2. Tape 14 tape measure pieces, side by side vertically, to cutting mat. For interest, reverse sides and switch direction of tape measures. To secure, place a long piece of masking tape across pieces about 2“ from the top. Place a second piece of tape about 1“ above first piece of masking tape.
3. Remove as one piece and straight stitch across top between masking tape pieces. Remove masking tape and re-tape stitched end to cutting mat. Secure bottom edge with masking tape for weaving.
4. Cut 7/8“ wide birds ribbon into eight 12“ lengths and 5/8“ flower ribbon into ten 12“ lengths. Starting with bird ribbon, horizontally weave “over and under“ tape measures, pushing ribbon close to stitching line. Next, weave flower ribbon “under then over“ tape measures. Be sure ribbon pattern is going in right direction and position ribbon pieces close against the previous piece. Continue until 4 pieces of each ribbon design are used. Continue weaving pattern but now ribbon design direction will be upside down since woven piece will be folded in half. Start with the flower ribbon and continue, making sure bird ribbon design is now facing the bottom edge. Finish with bird ribbon and set 2 remaining flower ribbons aside.
a. (Cut remaining tape measures into twenty-one 12“ lengths. Horizontally weave these pieces “over and under“ stitched tape measures, pushing close to stitching line. Next, weave a second tape measure piece “under then over“ stitched tape measures. Continue until all 21 pieces of tape measures are used. Reverse sides and switch directions of tape measure pieces while weaving).
5. Tighten weaving as much as possible. Masking tape edges just inside and outside of side tape measures. Tape bottom edge just above and below last ribbon (tape measure). Remove from cutting mat and stitch along sides of tape measures and across bottom ribbon (tape measure) to secure weaving. Remove tape.
6. Using rotary cutter and ruler, trim top and bottom tape measure edges to 1/8“ from ribbon. Trim ribbon on sides 3/8“ from tape measure edges. Seal cut ends of ribbon with Fray Check.
a. (Using rotary cutter and ruler, trim top and bottom tape measure edges to 1/8“ from first and last tape measure. Trim sides 3/8“ from tape measure edges).
7. Position wrong side of woven piece on wrong side of PUL. Trim PUL to same size as woven piece. Secure using clips and baste together along very edge of top and bottom.
8. Remove bottom stop from zipper using pliers. Slide pull from zipper tape; set aside.
9. Apply Wonder Tape to right sides of zipper tape. Remove paper from tape.
10. Stick one side of zipper tape to PUL side of bag along top edge. Align top zipper stop to just inside edge of last tape measure. Top edge of bag should rest along middle of zipper tape. Repeat with other side of zipper on opposite side of bag, making sure top zipper stops are aligned. Baste.
11. Cover edge of zipper tape along woven side with remaining pieces of flower ribbon (gross grain ribbon). Stitch along both ribbon edges to secure.
12. Slide zipper PUL back onto zipper tape, aligning ends. Secure zipper ends with bar-tack along edge of tape measure.
13. Keeping zipper open, turn woven/PUL piece with woven sides together. Secure with clips and stitch sides with 3/8“ seam allowance. Trim corners and apply Fray Check (no need to Fray Check). Turn to right side, pushing corners out.
You can usually expect delivery within 6-10 business days from your order date (business days are Monday-Friday, excluding Holidays). You’ll receive an email with tracking information when your order is shipped. Please allow up to 5 business days to receive your tracking information.
Some items sent directly from our suppliers may take longer, and will ship separate from the remainder of your order.
Please note that Singer sewing machines cannot be shipped to Guam, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands or to military bases overseas.
Most items will give you the option to upgrade your shipping method for faster delivery. If you choose to upgrade your shipping method, your order must be received by 11:00 AM ET or your order may not be processed until the following business day.
For more details & pricing. See our Full Shipping Policy >
Creativity shouldn’t be complicated, so you can return items for FREE any time to our stores for a hassle-free refund with a smile. Personalized Fabric and Custom Headboards purchased online cannot be returned. You can also return online items by mail. See Full Return Policy for Details>