Finished Size: 54” x 54"
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 Fabric Central® Eivu Bundle 1
- 1 Fabric Central® Eivu Bundle 2
- Fabric Central® Eivu fabrics:
- 2 yds White Geo
- 2-3/4 yds Coral Butterflies (backing)
- Low-loft batting: 60”x60”
- Rotary cutter & mat
- Acrylic ruler
- Masking tape
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Even feed foot (optional)
- Iron & pressing surface
Read all instructions before beginning project. Do not pre-wash fabrics. Use a 1/4” seam allowance and sew fabrics with right sides together (RST) unless otherwise noted. Before cutting, press fabrics with a dry iron on cotton setting. Press seams in the direction of the arrows.
Finished Care Instructions:
- Cut the following pieces from each of nine different Fat Quarters (except White Geo)
2 – 2-1/2”x18” (binding)
3 – 7”x7” squares
White Geo (2 yds.):
27 - 6?”x6?” squares
27 – 7”x7” squares
Coral Butterflies (backing):
1 – 42-1/4”x60”
2 – 18-1/4”x30-1/4”
- To make the Half-Square Triangle units, use a pencil to draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of each of the 27 White Geo squares (7”x7”). Layer a White Geo square on top of a print square (7”x7”) RST and edges even. Sew 1/4” away from each side of the drawn line. Cut along the drawn line and press seam allowances toward the print fabric. If needed, square up blocks to measure 6-1/2”x6-1/2”, trimming off points.
- Repeat with the remaining white and print squares to make a total of 54 Half-Square Triangle units, six each of nine fabrics.
- Make the first block by laying out the pieces in three rows as shown in Diagram D. Beginning with Row 1, place two half-square triangle units RST; pin, sew and press in the direction of the arrows. Repeat to sew the pieces together in each row; press. Pin Rows 1 and 2 RST matching seam intersections; sew and press as shown. Pin and sew Row 3; press. Completed block should measure 18-1/2”x18-1/2”.
- Repeat Step 4 to sew and press the eight remaining blocks. Note: When the blocks are repositioned in the final quilt lay out, the seams will nest correctly.
- Place the blocks in three rows as shown in Diagram F, turning as needed to match layout. Beginning with Row 1, pin the first two blocks RST matching seams; sew and press seam open. Pin and sew the third block to complete the row. Repeat to sew the remaining blocks in Rows 2 and 3; press.
- Pin Rows 1 and 2 RST matching seam intersections; sew and press seam open. Pin and sew Row 3; press. Completed quilt top should measure 54-1/2”x54-1/2”.
- To make backing, sew the two Coral Butterflies strips (18-1/4”x30-1/4”) RST on the short side; press seam open. Sew the two 60” sides RST to make one backing 60”x60”; press seam open. Place backing fabric wrong side up on a flat surface and secure with masking tape. Layer the batting and top with right side up. Starting at the center, baste the layers together with thread, pins or basting spray.
- Refer to quilting Diagram H for a simple yet creative quilting design. Tip: Sewing with an even-feed foot is helpful when quilting through layers to feed fabric more evenly and prevents wrinkles on the back of the quilt. Start at the lower left and stitch “in the ditch” or seam toward the upper right corner. Alternate sewing direction as you move across the quilt. After completing the areas of stitching “in the ditch,” sew the center diagonal lines using masking tape (stitch next to the edge) or use preferred method. Square up corners and edges, trimming excess backing and batting even with the quilt top.
- Sew the assorted 2-1/2” binding strips end to end to make one long strip; press seams open. Press one short end 1/4” to the wrong side. Fold in half lengthwise with wrong sides together; press. Leaving a 2” tail on the folded end, place cut edges of folded binding even with the edge of the quilt top and sew mitering the corners. Overlap ends, trim any excess and finish sewing the binding. Fold binding over to the back and hand stitch.
Machine wash in cold water; gentle cycle. Lay flat to dry or tumble dry low.