Covering Cake Fondant
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Wilton foodcrafting supplies: Roll & Cut Mat or Cake Dividing Wheel, Ready-to-Use Rolled Fondant, Icing Color, Fondant Smoother, optional
- Buttercream icing
- Piping gel
- Knife or tapered spatula
For simple, accurate measuring, roll out fondant on the Roll & Cut Mat or Cake Dividing Wheel. Refer to the instructions in each package of Wilton Ready-to-Use Rolled Fondant.
- To prepare cake, ice with buttercream icing. Allow icing to dry. Thinly spread a 1" band of Piping Gel around bottom sides of cake. Knead fondant to a workable consistency. Coat Roll & Cut Mat with a thin film of shortening. Roll fondant to a thickness 1/8" to 1/4", sized to the cake.
- Invert fondant with the mat and position over cake. Peel mat from fondant.
- Gently press fondant against cake sides to attach. Trim excess fondant with knife or tapered spatula.
- Smooth & shape fondant on cake using palm of hand or Fondant Smoother. If an air bubble appears, pierce with a pin; smooth area again. The covered cake is now ready to decorate.
- Cut the desired amount of white fondant. Roll into a ball; knead until soft and pliable. Using a toothpick, add dots of Wilton Icing Color in several spots.
- Knead color into fondant ball, stretching & folding until color is evenly blended.
- Wrap each color tightly in plastic wrap and store in a plastic bag until ready to use. Fondant is also great for cutting exciting designs, shaping spectacular flowers and adding fun accents to birthday cakes.