SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 3/4 yard heavy cotton fabric for tote and handles
- 1/4 yard heavy cotton fabric for crayon pocket
- 1/2 yard light-weight cotton or lining fabric for lining
- Coordinating thread, 1 spool
- Basic sewing supplies
- Scissors or rotary cutter and mat
- Iron & ironing surface
- Sewing machine
ALL SEAM ALLOWANCES 1/2".
1. Cut two 14"x11" pieces for front/back bag.
2. Cut two 3"x24" pieces for straps.
3. Cut two 4"x11" pieces for pocket.
4. Cut two 14"x11" pieces for front/back lining.
5. With right sides together and raw edges even, sew pocket together along one long edge. This will be the top of your pocket.
6. Press top edge with wrong sides together and edges even. Baste raw edges.
7. Mark verticle lines on pocket, evenly spaced about 1 1/8" apart.
8. With raw edges even, pin pocket on right side of front along bottom edge. Make sure that you markings are visible on pocket. Baste along raw edges.
9. Stitch along markings on pocket through all layers.
10. With right sides together and edges even, pin bag front and back together. Stitch sides and bottom.
11. Trim corners. Turn right side out.
12. Pin lining together and stitch along sides and bottom edge. Leave a small opening for turning along bottom edge.
13. With right sides together, stitch lining to bag along top edge. Press.
14. Understitch lining along top edge. Turn lining to inside, press and slip stitch opening closed.
15. Fold short edges of strap in 1/2" and press.
16. Fold long edges of strap in 1/2" and press.
17. Fold strap in half lengthwise so that long fold edges are even.
18. Edge stitch along all strap edges. Press.
19. Center and pin straps to front and back of bag 2" from sides seams. Overlap strap ends about 1" along top edge of bag.
20. Stitch through all layers along strap edge and along top of bag to make a box. Stitch an “X" inside box for added reinforcement.