Crazy Clay Creature
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Sculpey Clay: Sunny Side Up, Wasabi, Tropical Teal, Pomegranate or colors of choice
Note: One package of Sculpey clay is used for the basic pot. Features are made with small amounts of other colors.
- Floral arranging foam
- Onion grass
- Small sharp knife
- Aluminum foil
- Cutting board
- Wire cutters or sharp scissors
- Soften clay following directions on Sculpey package.
- Shape clay into a pot using one of three methods:
- Roll clay into a ball and using thumbs and fingers; mold into a pot.
- Using a small piece of clay, create a 2"circle for the base of the pot. Flatten the rest of the clay creating a rectangle that will go around the base circle to form the sides of pot.
- Using a small piece of clay, create a 2"circle for the base of the pot. Using the rest of the clay, roll it into a long "snake" and coil it around the base creating the sides of pot.
- Create facial features using small amounts of clay; press eyes, nose, etc., gently on the pot as desired. Refer to photo (see PDF) for suggestions. Use toothpicks and small sharp knife for cutting clay if desired.
NOTE: If the pot tends to lean or spread out, crumple up aluminum foil and place it inside the pot to maintain its shape while baking.
OPTIONAL: Gently wrap a piece of aluminum foil around the outside of the pot to help maintain its shape while baking.
Follow directions on Sculpey package for baking clay creature. Bake at 275°F for 30 minutes.
When clay is cool, cut floral arranging foam to fit inside of the pot; push it in so it remains secure. Using wire cutters and scissors, cut onion grass to desired length and insert it into the floral arranging foam.