1. Layer two different pieces of fabric, right sides up, and wavy cut them apart.
2. Butt one top piece and one different-colored, opposite, bottom piece together. Use a chalk marker to make registration marks about every 1/2" on the curve of both fabrics.
3. Flip the right top onto the left bottom. Pin them together at the registration marks and machine straight-stitch them together using a 1/8" seam allowance.
4. Press the seam open.
5. Turn it over and steam it flat from the right side.
6. Place a different fabric under the sewn-together piece and cut in a curve across them. Butt opposite pieces together, mark, flip, pin, stitch together, and press.
7. Place another different fabric underneath, wavy cut across them, butt, mark, flip, pin, stitch and press.
8. Once your final cut is stitched, steam-press all of it flat.
9. Use a 5-1/2"x7-1/2" template to cut the patchwork to that size.
10. Iron a 5-1/2"x7-1/2" piece of Sulky Tender Touch™ onto the wrong side of the pieced patchwork.
11. Along the lines of the crazy patchwork, use a different Sulky 40 wt Rayon for each line and sew using the decorative stitches of your choice.
12. Print the spider web pattern onto Sulky Stick ’n Carve™. To print the pattern, click on the "Download Project PDF" button (above).This will print the spider pieces and the web onto one piece of Stick ‘n Carve. Cut out the piece of the web that to be used, and stick it to the front of the project positioned where the web will be. (The web will show up more if it's placed on the darkest fabric.)
13. Using Sulky Sliver Opalescent, stitch over the spider web pattern several times until satisfied with the web. HINTS: Use a 14/90 topstitch needle, lowered top tension (2 or 3 numbers), and put the Sliver on the vertical spool pin.
14. Rinse the project until all the Sulky Stick ’n Carve is gone and allow to dry, or iron dry with the project face down on a towel.
15. Hand sew glass beads.
1. Cut out the three shapes of the spider from the piece of Sulky Stick ’n Carve. Rough cut them out, peel off the release sheet, and place the sticky side of the Stick ’n Carve onto the black craft foam.
2. Cut out the three shapes, one full body, one smaller lower body, and one head. Use a little glue stick to stick the lower body and head to the full body.
3. To make the legs, center four 4" lengths of stiff, black-covered, wire cord between the lower body and the head. (HINT: For a shiny, fancier spider, use double-stranded Sulky 40 Wt. Rayon. However, be prepared for a little more difficulty due to its slickness.) Double a long strand of Sulky 40 wt. Black Rayon or all-purpose black thread, and thread it through a hand embroidery needle. Feed the needle through the body to lock the thread; begin to wrap it around the body, and then the legs to lock them in place. Use the glue stick to put glue all over the spider’s body. This will give the thread something to stick to and make it easier to wrap.
4. Re-thread as many times as is needed to wrap the body with threads until it is fully wrapped. Finish each strand by feeding the needle through the body and clipping the threads. Finish the spider off by wrapping Sulky Holoshimmer Multi-color Dark around the body. Add beads or hot glue rhinestones for eyes. Use Sulky 40 wt. Black Rayon or all-purpose black thread to attach it onto the patchwork piece. Trim the legs to the desired size, shape them, and then attach the ends of each leg with Sulky 40 wt. Rayon Thread or all-purpose black thread.
5. A typical quilt binding was used here with a coordinating fabric, using a thin batting. Or make the patchwork the center of a pillow and make the spider removable using a sticky-back pin if desired.
You can usually expect delivery within 6-10 business days from your order date (business days are Monday-Friday, excluding Holidays). You’ll receive an email with tracking information when your order is shipped. Please allow up to 5 business days to receive your tracking information.
Some items sent directly from our suppliers may take longer, and will ship separate from the remainder of your order.
Please note that Singer sewing machines cannot be shipped to Guam, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands or to military bases overseas.
Most items will give you the option to upgrade your shipping method for faster delivery. If you choose to upgrade your shipping method, your order must be received by 11:00 AM ET or your order may not be processed until the following business day.
For more details & pricing. See our Full Shipping Policy >
Creativity shouldn’t be complicated, so you can return items for FREE any time to our stores for a hassle-free refund with a smile. Personalized Fabric and Custom Headboards purchased online cannot be returned. You can also return online items by mail. See Full Return Policy for Details>