Creating New Traditions Monogram Tote Bag
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Creating New Traditions™ Fabrics
- 1/2 yard Creating New Traditions™ turquoise paisley print
- 5/8 yard Creating New Traditions™ lime polka dots
- 1/2 yard Creating New Traditions™ blue print
- Thread to match fabric
- 7" x 4" piece paper backed fusible web
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
- Rotary cutter, ruler & cutting mat
- Basic sewing supplies
Size: 19" x 14" x 4"
- Follow steps 2-4 to cut the fabric pieces for the tote.
- From turquoise paisley print, cut two sides 20" x 16-1/2".
- From lime polka dots, cut two 20" x 14-1/2" lining pieces, one 7" x 6-1/2" pocket and one 7" x 6" pocket lining.
- From blue print, cut two 5" x WOF handles, two 5" x 8" handles and one 2-1/2" x 7" pocket binding.
- Draw a simple block letter pattern for the initial for the last name that is 3-1/4" high x 1-3/4" wide. Draw a pattern for the initial for the first and middle names that is 2-1/2" high x 1-3/8" wide. Trace the letters in reverse on the paper backed fusible web. Following the manufacturer’s directions, fuse the paper backed webbing to the wrong side of the blue print. Cut out the letters.
- Follow steps 7-19 to make the Monogram Tote Bag. Stitch all seams right sides together using 1/2" seam allowance unless indicated.
- Mark the horizontal and vertical center of the pocket. Place the large letter to the center of the pocket. Place the smaller letters on either side of the large letter. Fuse the letters in place. Zigzag stitch along the edges of the letters.
- Zigzag stitch along on long bottom edge of the pocket. Match the pocket to the pocket lining along the top and side edges with wrong sides together. Baste them together. Press the lower edge of the pocket to the lining side.
- Fold the pocket binding in half lengthwise and press the fold. Pin the raw edge of the binding to the top edge of the lining side. Stitch using a 3/8" seam allowance.
- Fold the binding to the right side over the seam and stitch it in place along the edge.
- Match the lining to the sides along the side and lower edges. Baste 3/8" from the edges.
- Stitch each long handle to a short handle along one end. Press the seam open.
- Press the handles in half lengthwise with wrong sides in. Open out the handles and fold the raw edges to the center. Press along the fold. Then fold the handle in half again.
- Pin the pocket to the tote centered 3-1/2" from the lower edge. Stitch along the lower edge.
- Pin the handles to the sides 3-1/4" from the vertical center. Stitch the handles in place along the edges beginning 3-1/2" from the top edge of the sides.
- Stitch the sides together along the sides and lower edge. Zigzag along the edge of the seam allowance.
- To miter the lower corners, fold the sides diagonally matching the side and lower seam. Measure and draw a line 4" wide perpendicular to the seams. Stitch along the line through all layers. Trim seam allowance to 1/2" and zigzag finish the seam allowance.
- Fold the top edge of the sides to meet the top edge of the lining. Then fold again along the top edge of the lining. Stitch along the bottom of the hem keeping the handles folded down away from the stitching. Stitch again along the top edge of the sides.
- Pin the remaining portion of the handles in place on the sides. Stitch the edges of the handle to the sides and continue stitching the edges of the handle together along the top loop. Stitch across the handles at the top edge of the sides.
Items in This Collection
Item # 13387725
Available for U.S. Shipping Only