Cropped Pants – Alterations and Styling
- Give your summer slacks a new life by shortening them to a cropped style. The look is quite trendy, a fun look for summer and a cool choice for hot summer days.
- What style?
- When altering long pants to make a cropped look, keep in mind the original shape of the pants. The most flattering style is a straight leg or tapered leg pant. The wider flared styles tend to make the person appear shorter and heavier. For heavier individuals, the tapered look may make their hips appear heavier in contrast, so it is best to select the straight leg style.
- What length?
- For those that are slim and tall, almost any cropped pant length will work well. For the average figure, have the hem length just above the narrowest part of the ankle.
- What to wear with cropped pants?
- Tops are flattering if they are short, just slightly longer than the top of the cropped pants, elongating the look of the pants. With that said, long flowing tops or short dresses with slim cropped pants look great as well. Avoid a top length that cuts a person in half.
- Shoes for a casual look can be flats or heels. Keep the slim look all the way down, selecting narrow flats or wedge sandal heels. For a dressier look, a narrow heel is preferred. To continue the overall slim look on down, wear shoes the same color or same lightness or darkness as the cropped pants.