Cross Stitch Gallery Squares
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 300TC fabric: 4 white 12" squares
- Ultra-Weave™: Four 12" squares
- Sticky-Grid-N-Wash™: Four 6" squares
- Embroidery thread: 4 colors
- 8" embroidery hoop
- Water-soluble marker
- Animals patterns can be found by clicking download project PDF
- Four 8" square stretched canvases
- Thumbtacks or hammer
- 1/2" nails
- Iron & pressing surface
- Basic sewing supplies
Follow manufacturer’s instructions for application of all interfacing. Directions are for 1 gallery square. Repeat for 4 gallery squares.
RS = Right Sides WS = Wrong Sides
1. Fuse the Ultra-Weave™ to the WS of the 300TC fabric.
2. Mark the center point of both the 300TC & the Sticky-Grid-N-Wash™.
3. Remove the paper backing from the Sticky-Grid-N-Wash™. Finger press to the RS of the 300TC, matching the center points.
4. Refer to the pattern for stitching or transfer it to the Sticky-Grid-N-Wash™ with a water soluble marker. Secure all layers in the embroidery hoop.
5. Cut one 18" length of embroidery floss. Separate the strands, one strand at a time. Put 3 strands back together. Thread needle; do not knot the end.
6. Start on the right side of the pattern & bring the needle up at intersection of the lines in the upper left corner of the first vertical row to be stitched. Leave a 1" tail on the back that should be encased in the first 4 stitches, insert the needle at the intersection of the lines in the lower right corner. Bring the needle up in the lower left corner intersection & travel to the next lower right corner intersection. Repeat this step until the last stitch in the row has the first half of the cross stitch.
7. Reverse direction & travel back up the row of vertical stitches, with the stitches crossing in the opposite direction (bottom left corner to top right corner). Insert the needle into previous holes for a straight & uniform appearance.
8. When a row is completed, travel to the left for next row & repeat Steps 6 & 7.
9. Once stitching is complete, remove from hoop. Submerge entire square in water to dissolve the Sticky-Grid-N-Wash™. Allow square to dry.
10. Center stitched square over the 8" square canvas. Carefully pull the top & bottom raw edges around to the back side & secure to the wood with thumbtacks or small nails. Repeat with the sides to complete.