Cute-Enough-to-Eat Lunch Bags
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/2 yd fabric for outer bag
- 2/3 yd fabric for lining, handles & loop closure
- 1/2 yd Insul Bright insulating material
- One 1" button
- Basic sewing supplies
- Rotary cutting supplies
- 2 yds 1" belting
- Cut two 11"x18" rectangles from outer fabric. Cut two 11"x18" rectangles, two 4"x36" rectangles & one 1-3⁄4"x22" rectangle from coordinating fabric. Cut two 11"x12" rectangles from Insul Bright.
- Wrong sides together, matching 3 raw edges, pin a rectangle of Insul Bright to a rectangle of outer fabric. Baste layers together along side edges & across bottom edge. Cut 2-1⁄2" square from each corner along bottom edge. Repeat for other outer fabric rectangle.
- To make handles, press each 4"x36" rectangle in half, wrong sides together, matching raw edges along the long side. Open up handle & bring each long edge to center. Insert belting under 1 folded edge. Press. Refold along center pressed mark & press handle. Top-stitch 1/8" from each long side.
- Measure 3" along each side & pin handle to right side of insulated unit. Raw edges should be even with bottom edge; fold should be along marked line and handle should not be twisted. Stitch over previous stitching on handle, stopping at end of Insul Bright rectangle. Turn to stitch across handle & stitch back down to raw bottom edge. Repeat for the 2nd side of the handle. Make 2.
- On the right side of 1 insulated unit, measure 1" from top edge of insulated rectangle & in the center between the handles. Stitch button on marking. Lay a toothpick or yarn needle across top of button between stitching to allow for room for loop closure. Remove toothpick/yarn needle after stitching.
- Wrong sides together, press 1-3⁄4"x22" rectangle as for handle. Stitch along open edge. Mark right side of remaining insulated unit 2" from top, from fabric only edge and in the center. Mark center of stitched loop piece. Stitch center of loop piece to marking on insulated unit.
- Right sides together, with 1/2" seam allowance, stitch insulated units across bottom. Press seam open. Stitch sides. Press seams open. With bottom seam meeting side seam, stitch bag bottom. Repeat for other corner.
- Make bag lining by stitching bottom seams & side seams as for insulated portion of bag. Leave opening in 1 side seam for turning. Right sides together, slip lining into insulated bag. With raw edges even, stitch along top. Turn bag through opening in lining. Whip stitch side opening. Turn lining to inside of bag; press.
- Fold top of bag exposing loop strap. With loop around button, tie an overhand knot or bow. Ends may be knotted & trimmed.