1. Fold fabric in half, selvage side to selvage side. Measure and cut two pieces, 18"x44", creating two long rectangular pieces. Cut selvage ends.
2. Pin the two pieces together, wrong sides together, end-to-end. Following machine guidelines for chiffon fabric, stitch together with 1/4" seam allowance. Carefully trim seam to 1/8".
3. Open up the two pieces and press the seam. Fold the shawl along the seam, right sides now together and press the seam again. Pin in place to avoid shifting. Sew another line of stitches 1/4" from the first seam, creating a French seam that hides the first stitching and makes for a finished seam without any raw edges.
4. Measure shawl for length preference. Consider shawls are often worn a little off the shoulder and ends often drape to the midsection of the body or lower. Cut off extra length from ends if necessary, but keeping the seam in the middle of the back.
5. To finish, create a rolled hem around unfinished edges. Or fold in the edges 1/4" at each end of the shawl. Press and fold again 1/4". This creates a clean, folded edge. Top stitch along these edges, close to the fold. Repeat for the two side lengths, creating a finished edge around the entire shawl.
6. As an option, the edges can be embellished or finished with ribbon, beads or fringe.
You can usually expect delivery within 6-10 business days from your order date (business days are Monday-Friday, excluding Holidays). You’ll receive an email with tracking information when your order is shipped. Please allow up to 5 business days to receive your tracking information.
Some items sent directly from our suppliers may take longer, and will ship separate from the remainder of your order.
Please note that Singer sewing machines cannot be shipped to Guam, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands or to military bases overseas.
Most items will give you the option to upgrade your shipping method for faster delivery. If you choose to upgrade your shipping method, your order must be received by 11:00 AM ET or your order may not be processed until the following business day.
For more details & pricing. See our Full Shipping Policy >
Creativity shouldn’t be complicated, so you can return items for FREE any time to our stores for a hassle-free refund with a smile. Personalized Fabric and Custom Headboards purchased online cannot be returned. You can also return online items by mail. See Full Return Policy for Details>