Decorative Book Clock
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 2 Paper mache book boxes
- Scrapbook papers: Brown leather, Rust plaid, World map
- Clock kit
- Acrylic paint: Dark brown, Barn red, Yellow-tan
- 1/2" Flat paintbrush
- Glue stick
- Paper trimmer
- Black pen, or computer-generated text
- Paint the "pages": of the books yellow-tan. Apply 2 coats. Let dry between coats. Paint the remainder of the books dark brown and barn red. Apply 2 coats. Let dry between coats.
- Following the manufacturer's directions from the clock kit, drill or cut a hole in the front of one of the books for the clock mechanism.
- Cut rectangles of world map and rust plaid paper to fit the fronts of the books; glue papers to the fronts and backs of book boxes. Cut the clock hole through the paper.
- Cut strips of brown leather paper to wrap around the spine of the book and extend to the front and back of the book approximately 1-1⁄2"; cover the backs of the paper with glue. Adhere paper to book.
- Insert the clock and adhere the clock numbers.
- Cut rectangular spine labels from scrap world map paper. Cut or punch rounded notches at each corner. Ink all edges. Print book titles with a pen or use computer to create text. Mat with plaid paper, shaping the corners. Adhere to spine with glue.