Decorative Painting Tips
HELPFUL TIPS & TECHNIQUES
- The key to any paint project is surface preparation, so begin with a clean, dry surface.
- Keep a moist towel handy for quick clean-ups around edges.
- Allow paint to dry between applications.
- Many household items can be used to create unusual textures and shapes.
- Priming helps make colors vibrant.
- Use the end of the paintbrush handle to create dot effects.
- Blend small amounts of darker paint into lighter paint to achieve desired shade.
- Mix equal parts of paint to water to create a color-washed effect.
- Sand edges of projects for a time-worn effect. Wipe clean with a cloth to remove dust.
- Always seal the project to increase longevity.
- Place projects on wax paper while drying. The wax paper won't stick to the project and clean up is simple.
PAINTBRUSH CARE & STORAGE:
- Use lukewarm or cold water to wash paintbrushes. Many brushes are made with glue;washing them in hot water causes bristles to separate and shed.
- Store paintbrushes flat or upside down with the bristle side up to avoid ruining the tip.
- Stand paintbrushes, upside-down, in a canister filled with sand. The sand will absorb moisture and support the paintbrushes to combat warping and bending.
- Store wet paintbrushes in a sandwich bag in the freezer. Allow to thaw before using.