Desk Cube Organizer
- FloraCraft&Brand Products:Make It: Fun&Styrofoam& Brand Foam: 4-7/8&x4-7/8&x4-7/8&CubeDesign It:&Foam Cutter
- Road atlas or map
- Magnetic clip holder (with 1-1/8&clip)
- Two 3/4&diameter silver washers
- Green acrylic paint
- 1 yd. length natural-colored twine
- 3&x3&paper pad
- Two pens
- 2-3/4&x4-3/4&chipboard (optional)
- All purpose glue stick
- X-Acto&Tools:8&scissors12&rotary paper trimmer
- Pencil or marker
- Glue gun glue sticks
- Desk Caddy Items: Colored paper clips, stamps, envelopes, etc.
Note: Desk Caddy will be made by “scooping out” a U-shape from the Styrofoam& cube.
1. Set cube on work surface. From front elevation of cube, use ruler and pencil to measure and mark 1&from left, right and bottom edges. Draw lines to create a square U shape. Turn block around and mark the same way on the opposite side of cube. Then on top of cube, mark 1&from right and left edges only and draw straight line. These are cutting lines.
2. Use Foam Cutter with sawing motion to cut along left side line, top to bottom, stopping at bottom of 1&mark. Similarly cut along right side line. Cut across bottom of Block using scooping motion at inside bottom corners until able to make a right-angle cut. Optional: To insure smooth bottom, cut, fit and hot glue chipboard piece to inside bottom of caddy.
3. Use rotary paper trimmer to cut two 7&x11&(ends), one 2-3/4&x8&(inside bottom) and one 4-7/8&x4-7/8&(outside bottom) pieces of map.
4. Cover caddy by wrapping ends first and then covering inside. Generously apply glue stick to one inside side of block. With one 7&x11&strip, starting at inside bottom corner, center and attach 7&end of map. Apply glue to top edge and outside side of block. Continue to wrap paper around, gluing paper end to bottom of caddy. Finish covering ends by folding and wrapping edges, like wrapping a present. Similarly, cover other side of caddy.
To cover inside bottom, apply glue to inside bottom and side surfaces. Position and wrap 2-3/4&x8&map to cover and glue ends to bottom of caddy.
Apply glue and attach 4-7/8&x4-7/8&to outside bottom of caddy.
5. Wrap twine two times around one side of caddy and tie in knot. Trim ends and fray. On same side, use glue gun to attach clip holder 3/4&below top center. Attach paper pad to clip, under or over twine as desired.
6. For pen holders, on top edge of same side as other embellishments, measure and mark 3/4&from each end and poke starter hole with point of scissors. Push in end of pen to enlarge each hole, remove pen. Paint washers green. Allow to dry. Use glue gun to attach washers centered over holes. Insert pens.
7. Use twine as a hanger for stamps and paper clips. Set envelopes and other items in caddy.