Dip Dye Hat
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Lion Brand® Wool-Ease® Thick & Quick®
- Charcoal 1 (1, 1, 1) ball (A)
- Black 1 (1, 1, 1) ball (B)
- or colors of your choice
- Lion Brand® stitch markers
- Lion Brand® large-eyed blunt needle
- Double pointed knitting needles size 13, set of 5
- Tape measure
Child S (Child M/L, Adult S/M, Adult L)
Finished Circumference About 16 (18, 20, 22)”, will stretch to fit a range of sizes.
Finished Height About 7 (7 1/2, 10 1/2, 10 3/4)”, height can be customized.
Note: Pattern is written for smallest size with changes for larger sizes in parentheses. When only one number is given, it applies to all sizes. To follow pattern more easily, circle all numbers pertaining to your size before beginning.
9 sts = 4” in St st worked in rnds (k every rnd).
BE SURE TO CHECK GAUGE.
When matching the gauge in a pattern, the project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes fewer stitches and rows to match the gauge, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
K1, p1 Rib worked in rnds (over an even number of sts)
Rnd 1: *K1, p1; rep from * to end of rnd.
Rep Rnd 1 for K1, p1 Rib worked in rnds.
K2, p2 Rib worked in rnds (over a multiple of 4 sts)
Rnd 1: *K2, p2; rep from * to end of rnd.
Rep Rnd 1 for K2, p2 Rib worked in rnds.
K3, p1 Rib worked in rnds (over a multiple of 4 sts)
Rnd 1 (RS): *K3, p1; rep from * to end of rnd.
Rep Rnd 1 for K3, p1 Rib worked in rnds.
1. This pattern is a recipe for making a custom hat. Choose size and length, which rib pattern desired, and which color desired.
2. Hat is worked in rnds on double pointed needles (dpns) beg at lower edge.
3. When knitting in the round on double pointed needles (dpns), sts need to be divided fairly evenly onto the needles. If working with a set of 5 dpn, sts should be divided among 4 needles. The total number of sts will not always be evenly divisible by the number of dpns that used – this is not a problem. Simply divide sts as evenly as possible, creating a symmetrical ‘tube’ of knitting.
With A or B, cast on 36 (40, 44, 48) sts. Divide sts onto 4 needles, placing 9 (10, 11, 12) sts on each needle. Place marker for beg of rnd. Join by working the first st on left hand needle with the working yarn from the right hand needle and being careful not to twist sts.
Choose one of the Rib Patterns, and work until piece measures 1 1/2 (1 1/2, 2, 2)” from beg or desired length.
Change to St st worked in rnds (k every rnd) until piece measures about 6 3/4 (7 1/2, 10 1/2, 10 1/2)” from beg or desired length.
Shape Crown (Top of Hat)
Decrease Rnd: K2tog around – 18 (20, 22, 24) sts at the end of this rnd.
Cut yarn, leaving a long yarn tail. Thread tail through remaining sts and pull to gather. Knot securely.
Weave in ends.
beg = begin(ning)(s)
k = knit
k2tog = knit 2 sts together
p = purl
rep = repeat(s)(ing)
rnd(s) = round(s)
St st = Stockinette st
st(s) = stitch(es)