SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- FloraCraft® Foam: 10" ball or desired size & 5" cube
- Fabric strips: travel theme print
- Burlap embellishments: prints, trims, tags, frames or pendants
- Scrapbook embellishments: metal box feet and metal compass coins
- 3 scrapbook papers: map print
- Scrapbook embellishments: fabric flowers, travel theme die cuts or charms
- Mod podge: matte
- Straight pins
- 1/2" wood dowel, 5" long
- Long serrated knife
- Low-temp glue gun & glue sticks
- Flat paintbrush
- Black marker
- Wax paper
1. Insert the wood dowel into the center of the ball, leaving 2" sticking out. Pull the dowel back out and apply glue to the hole. Reinsert the dowel.
2. Cut the 5" foam cube exactly in half. Measure and draw lines with the black marker to ensure a straight cut. Use one half now as a stand while creating the globe. Save the second half to create the base for the globe later. Push the globe onto the stand.
3. Cut the map print scrapbook papers into smaller sections. This will make it easier to adhere to the ball with less wrinkles.
4. Work on the top half of the ball first. Allow the top half to dry completely before turning over to finish the bottom. Brush on a solid thick coat of the mod podge to a top section of the ball. Lay the paper over the mod podge section and press into place. Brush another coat of mod podge over top of the paper section working out any air bubbles. If using a stiffer paper, use straight pins to hold the paper in place while the mod podge begins to dry. Continue this process, slightly overlapping each paper section to completely cover the top half of the ball. Allow to dry completely until it is no longer tacky to the touch. For the bottom half, lay a towel over the bowl to keep the globe from getting indentations from the edge of the bowl. Lay a piece of wax paper over the towel. Turn the ball upside down onto the bowl to keep it in place while finishing the bottom. Allow to dry completely.
5. Glue burlap to completely cover the half cube base. Glue a fabric strip around the base. Glue the metal feet in place on the bottom of the base. Cut a small slit in the burlap at the top center of the base to insert the dowel from the globe. Glue the globe onto the base.
6. Glue the scrapbook embellishments, fabric strips, burlap embellishments and keepsakes from vacations to create a personalized vacation memories globe.