SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Fiskars® 6-1/2"x24-1/2" acrylic ruler
- Fiskars® Amplify™ RazorEdge™ shears
- Fiskars® Softgrip pinking shears (optional)
- 1-1/4 yds of 60" or 2-1/3 yds 45" fabric
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
- Polyester stuffing
- Sew-in Velcro®
- New heavy weight shower curtain
All fabric should be prewashed in hot water and machine dried. All seam allowances are 1/2".
1. Cut a piece of fabric for the top to the dimensions desired plus 1/2" on each side for seam allowances.
2. The bottom layer will be made from 2 pieces to allow for an opening with a Velcro closure. To determine the cut size for the bottom pieces, divide the length of the top piece by 2. To that number, add 3-1/2" for the Velcro® edge and overlapping of the 2 pieces. The height will be the same. Cut 2 pieces this size.
3. On each piece, fold over one edge that will overlap 1" and press. Fold over 1" again and press. Pin a length of Velcro® to each folded edge and stitch in place.
4. Put together the two Velcro® pieces to form the back. Place back right sides together with the front, pin, trim and stitch with 1/2" seam allowance around the edge. Finish edge with a serger, with a zig-zag stitch or trimming with pinking shears.
5. To make the bed waterproof, make a liner from the shower curtain. Cut 2 pieces the dimensions of the fabric cover. Using the longest stitch on the machine, stitch the 2 pieces together leaving a fairly large (about 10") opening for inserting stuffing.
6. Insert stuffing or pillows.
7. Stitch the opening of the liner closed leaving several 1" sections unstitched to allow air to escape from the bed when the dog lies on it.
8. Insert liner with stuffing into the fabric cover.