SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 yd. fabric for bag
- 4 yds. cording
- 1/6 yd fabric for letter
- Wonder Under
- Fray Check™
- Coordinating thread
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
- Iron & pressing surface
- Pinking shears
All seam allowances are 1/2". RS=Ride Side(s) WS= Wrong Side(s).
CUTTING: Body: cut one on fold 12"x16-1/2", Letter: cut one 5"x5", Cord: cut two 72" pieces, Corner Reinforcement: cut one 3"x3" square.
1. Mark the open corners of bag 1-1/2" down with a pencil on the WS of fabric.
2. Fold open corner of bag inward 1/4" and taper off at end of 1-1/2" and stitch down. Repeat on each open end corner.
3. Trace letter onto Wonder Under using a marker, cut letter out making it 1/8"
smaller all around fabric letter. Iron the Wonder Under to the back of letter. Peel the paper off the back and place letter onto bag where desired and iron into place. Use a zig-zag stitch to secure letter and finish the edges.
4 Pin bag RS together and iron bottom fold. Unpin bag and lay the bag
out flat. Pin reinforcement fabric into place right above iron fold crease and
stitch into place at 1/8" across the corner. Repeat this step on the other side.
5. Fold 1/4" over at the top of the bag and stitch into place at 1/8" seam allowance.
6. Pin RS together and stitch side seams closed at 1/4" stopping right at the 1-1/2"
folded inward at the top of the bag. Once side seams are sewn together, pinking
shear the seams to keep them from fraying.
7. Fold bag RS out and push the corners out.
8. Gently iron the corners flat and zip zag stitch front and back panels together using
the stitch line from the reinforcement fabric inside as a guide.
9. Fold top front opening of bag over 1-1/4" and zig-zag stitch closed. Repeat on back top opening.
10. Pin one end of cord and push through casing created at top of bag. Push cord
Through back and front leaving excess hanging out opposite ends of casing.
Repeat this step with the other cord starting on the opposite side, so your cords
will be hanging out different ends of the casing and loops will be great on each
11. Measure 3/4" from the center point bottom corner and lay grommet in position,
trace inside circle with pencil and cut fabric away. Following directions on
grommet kit and secure grommet into place. Repeat on other corner.
12. Push cords through back side of grommet and out the front side. Secure both
cords with a knot so they do not slip back out of the grommet. Trim any excess
cord and put a small amount of fray check on each end of cord so it does not fray.