Dress It Up Mixed Media Canvas
Supplies & Tools:
DecoArt Americana® Stencils : Dandelion (12" x 12")
DecoArt Media® Fluid Acrylics:
- Burnt Sienna
- Payne's Grey
- Pyrrole Orange
- Primary Cyan
- Titan Buff
DecoArt Media® Specialty Products:
- White Gesso
- Matte Medium
Palette or plastic plate
Stylus or pencil
Tracing & transfer paper
1" flat brush
¾” flat brush
½” flat brush
Black fine point marker
Brown paper bag (or brown craft paper)
Sticky notes (optional)
NOTE: Allow to dry completely between painting steps.
- Create mix of Primary Cyan with Titan Buff and/or White Gesso. Use 1" flat brush to apply to canvas.
- Transfer dress pattern to brown paper bag or craft paper. Mix Pyrrole Orange with White Gesso. Paint dress with ½” flat brush and mix; cut out. Save mix for later step.
- Crumple dress and unfold. Use Matte Medium to adhere dress to desired area of canvas; apply another coat of Matte Medium on top of dress. Transfer body and stand portion of pattern onto canvas. Mix small amount of Burnt Sienna with Titan Buff to paint body. Use straight Burnt Sienna for shadows.
- Using ¾” flat brush, add more color to background: To lighten up background, mix small amount of Primary Cyan with White Gesso. Paint in some spaces and dab brush in several spots to add color instead of smooth stroke. Add more Primary Cyan to Primary Cyan/White Gesso mix from step 2 and shade around dress. Use Pyrrole Orange to add shading to dress.
- Add shadows and stand using Payne's Grey. Gently rub brown inkpad over dress.
- Optional: Use sticky notes to mask off areas of Americana Dandelion Stencil to avoid getting Modeling Paste on them.
- Use palette knife to evenly spread Modeling Paste over Dandelion Stencil. Gently scrape off excess Modeling Paste using palette knife. Carefully lift stencil to reveal pattern. Repeat to achieve desired background.
- Adhere paper flowers to bottom right corner of dress.
- Doodle stems for dandelions using fine tip black marker.