Duct Tape Prom Fashions
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Duck Tape duct tape, available in a variety of colors
- Craft knife and self-healing mat
- Duck brand duct tape lets you make creative clothing without sewing! Even making a prom dress is easy!
- It all starts by making your own fabric. Simply layer duct tape sticky side to sticky side, covering a piece of fabric with duct tape or cover existing clothing with duct tape. The process is easy and allows you to design just about anything. Duct tape comes in a wide range of colors and tears for easy use. For all duct tape fabric techniques, you will need duct tape and a large working surface.
- Lay a strip of duct tape on the work surface sticky side up. Place a second strip sticky side up so it slightly overlaps the edge of the first strip. Repeat until you have four strips of duct tape overlapping.
- Turn the sheet so the sticky side up strips run vertically. Lay a strip sticky side down over the sheet going horizontally. Repeat with additional strips until the sticky sides are covered. Trim off sticky edges.
- Keep the size of the duct tape sheets to a manageable size, then tape sheets together to create larger pieces of duct tape fabric. For the half fabric/half duct tape technique, lay fabric on work surface and cover with duct tape overlapping the duct tape slightly.
- Using the duct tape fabric:
- With fabric ready, cut out the pattern pieces and tape or staple together. If stapling, be sure the prongs are pushed in then tape over the staples to prevent scratches during wear.
- Zippers are easy to install. Cut a slit in the garment where you would like the zipper to be. Use staples on either side of the zipper to install then cover the staples with tape.
- Grommets provide another easy way to close the garment, just place string through the holes to lace it up.
- TIPS: Duct tape does not "breathe." Place ventilation holes in inconspicuous locations and wear a layer of cotton clothing underneath.
- Duct tape fabric is heavy; be sure clothing creations are stable & secure, so fashions do not slip or come apart.