SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Cotton fabric as listed below for main skirt
- Coordinating color cotton fabric, for paper-doll peeps hem
- Wonder Under®
- 1-1/2" elastic
- Pen or marker
- Scissors or rotary cutter (optional)
- Coordinating thread
- Other basic sewing essentials
*Please note, for best fit, measure the child and cut dimensions as desired. This is a basic guide to follow. Furthermore, for ease of making the simplest skirt possible – we kept the fullness of the skirt to a minimum. Feel free to cut wider panels and sew a gathering line along the top of the skirt.
Cut the following (1) fabric panel for ‘Main Skirt’ pattern piece:
- 12 months = 7-3/4"L x 18"W
- 2T = 8-3/4"L x 19"W
- 3T = 9-1/4"L x 20"W
- 4T = 10"L x 21"W
- 5T = 11"L x 22"W
- 6yr = 13-1/4"L x 22"W
- 7yr = 14"L x 23"W
- 8yr = 14-3/4"L x 24"W
Cut the following(1) for Elastic Waistband:
- 12 months = 17-1/2"
- 2T = 18"
- 3T = 18-1/2"
- 4T = 19"
- 5T = 19-1/2"
- 6yr = 20"
- 7yr = 21"
- 8yr = 21-3/4"
- Cut (1) fabric panel as suggested above for Main Skirt pattern piece. In order to optimize the ‘easy’ factor of this DIY, this is not a full skirt. Feel free to cut wider panels, and sew a gathering stitch along the top edge in later steps.
- Cut (1) coordinating fabric panel the same width as the skirt x 5"L. Repeat for Wonder Under®.
- Following the instructions on the Wonder Under® packaging, iron onto the wrong side of the coordinating fabric panel.
- Fold the coordinating fabric panel accordion-style.
- Using a pen or marker, draw a sketch of a bunny head on the wrong side of the fabric on the top panel. Make sure the bunny head touches on BOTH sides of the accordion panel. This is essentially the same process as cutting paper-chain dolls.
- Using heavy duty scissors, carefully cut out your bunny head shape. Unfold.
- Remove the Wonder Under® paper backing, and iron the paper-chain bunny heads onto the bottom of your main skirt panel, on the right side. *Optional, edge stitch around the top of the bunny’s face and ears for additional security.
- Fold skirt panel right sides together, matching up side seams. Pin and sew. Finish seam with either a serger, zig zag stitch, or pinking shears. Press open. This will be your BACK center seam.
- Finish the top raw edge of your skirt with either a zig zag stitch, serger, or pinking shears. Hem the bottom of your skirt by folding ½” towards the wrong side and pressing. Fold again ½”, press, and sew.
- Fold elastic in half, matching up the raw side edges. Pin in place and sew.
- Press elastic seam open, and sew around the seam in a rectangle shape to secure down.
- Slip elastic over the top of the skirt waist, right sides together, matching up the back skirt center seam and the elastic seam. Pin in 4 places, the back, front and 2 sides. If wider skirt panels are desired, this is the appropriate time to sew a gathering stitch along the top of the skirt, prior to pinning on the elastic. Gather the skirt fabric until the skirt is about 1/4 larger than the elastic waistband in width.
- Sew around, progressively stretching the elastic aso that it is the same width as the skirt.
- Fold elastic waistband up.