Eco-Smart Insulated Shopping Bag
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1-1/2 yds Drill 40 fabric
- 1/2 yd Insul-Bright lining
- 14" zipper
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron and ironing surface
- Fabric marker
- FINISHED SIZE: 16"x14"
- Use 1/2" seam allowance throughout.
- From Drill 40 fabric cut:
- 1 piece 45"x6" for bag sides and bottom
- 2 pieces 50"x3" for handles
- 2 pieces 17"x15" for front and back
- 2 pieces 3 -1/2"x17" for top
- From Insul-Bright cut 2 pieces 22"x19-1/2".
- Handles: Fold each piece in half with right sides together lengthwise and sew. Turn right side out and press with seam in center of back. Measure along 17" top and bottom edges and mark in 4-1/2" from side edges of bag on both the front and back. Place ends of handles at the marks and edge stitch handles in place to within 1" of top edge.
- Sides and bottom: Measure down 14-1/2" on sides of 45"x6" piece and mark for corners, sew a reinforcing seam 1" on both sides of mark along seam line. Carefully clip at mark from edge to seam. Beginning 1/2" from top edge sew to sides and bottom of bag front and back, pivoting at clipped corners.
- Zipper: Place the two 3-1/2"x17" pieces with right sides together, using the zipper as guide, place a mark at the beginning and end of zipper. Stitch to first mark, then baste to end mark, stitch to end. Be sure to lock stitching before and after basting. Press seam open. Pin or hand baste zipper over center seam basting and sew in place using a zipper foot. Remove basting and open zipper. With right sides together, sew zipper top to bag, being careful not to catch handles. Press seam toward bag.
- Turn bag right side out and finish stitching handles to bag using an "X" stitch for extra strength.
- Lining: With right sides together, sew Insul-Bright lining together at sides (19-1/2" edges) and bottom (22" edge). To create bottom corners, fold bottom and side seams together forming a triangle and sew a 5" seam. The top has no seam allowance, so bring together top edges to side seam to form triangle and sew a 5" seam.
- Finishing: Turn bag inside out and slip lining over bag. Pin top edge of lining to zipper and stitch in place. Turn bag right side out.