Elastic Waistband Skirt
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/2 yard of fabric
- Dritz® elastic
- Dritz® Fray Check™
- Tape measure
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine
1. Wash and press fabric.
2. Using the entire width of fabric, determine the desired length skirt, including 2" for hem, and cut. The cut edges should be perpendicular to the selvage edges.
3. Pin skirt fabric with the right sides together.
4. Stitch sides with a 1/2" seam allowance. Finish the seam with a serger or zigzag stitch, and press the seam to the side.
5. Fold the bottom edge under 1", and repeat to create a double-fold. Stitch to hem and press.
6. Serge or zigzag stitch the top edge of the skirt to finish and prevent unraveling.
7. Measure waist, subtract 2" and determine if this is a good fit. Cut and apply Fray Check™ to the ends.
8. Stitch the two elastic ends together with a 1" seam. Fold the two ends open and zigzag stitch to secure.
9. To ensure that the elastic is attached evenly to the skirt, place pins at quarter marks on the elastic. Repeat for the skirt top edge.
10. Pin the elastic to the top edge of the skirt by aligning seams and pins. Additional pins spaced evenly will aid in guiding elastic.
11. Set machine to a zigzag stitch, with stitch width at about 2 and length at about 2.5. Starting at the back, zigzag the bottom edge of the elastic to the skirt, stretching it, so the skirt fabric is flat as it goes through the machine.