Embellished Frame Collage
8"x10" oval black
8"x10" black float
6"x8" black float
- Ribbon, 1 spool each: black, white
- Fabric: black & white
- Mod Podge® Matte finish
- Scribbles® Shiny White 3D Paint
- 3 pkgs Bulldog® Hardware Large Picture Hanging Brackets
- Hot glue gun, glue sticks
- Super glue
- 1" flat paintbrush
- Scrap cardboard
DIRECTIONS: Cover work area with newspaper. Read directions before beginning project. Refer to photo.
1. Remove glass and backer board from 8"x10" white frame.
2. Lay empty frame on fabric. Cut fabric around the frame 3" from the edge. Set cut fabric aside.
3. Lay frame on the newspaper RS up; cover with Mod Podge®, following manufacturer’s directions.
4. Lay frame on cut fabric. Smooth out wrinkles in the fabric with hands. Apply a coat of Mod Podge® over the fabric to seal it and to push the fabric into the grooves of the frame. Allow to dry.
4. Cut a small circle in fabric on the inside of the frame where the glass would be. Cut from the center to each corner, to form a triangle at each side. Fold the fabric around the edge where the glass rests in the frame. Trim excess fabric (FIG A).
5. Apply Mod Podge® to the inside of the frame to adhere the fabric. Apply Mod Podge® to the outer edge and 1/2" onto the back of the frame. Wrap the fabric around the frame; trim away excess fabric. Fold the corners of the fabric like wrapping a present. Trim away excess fabric.
6. Apply several coats of Mod Podge® to seal the fabric, allowing each coat to dry before applying the next. Do not reassemble the frame until the Mod Podge® is completely dry.
1. Remove the back piece of glass from the 8"x10" float frame while the frame is flipped over. Clean the glass and lay it on work surface.
2. Place a small dot of hot glue at the very edge of the piece of glass & adhere the end of either the black or white ribbon in place. Stretch the ribbon across the piece of glass, add a small dab of glue to the opposite edge of the piece of glass & adhere ribbon in place. Pull ribbon taut so that it stays tight; trim the ribbon flush with the glass edge.
3. Add pieces of black & white ribbon randomly to the glass. When adding a picture, tuck the edges of the picture through the ribbons to add dimension.
4. Reassemble frame.
Scribbles® Shiny White 3D Paint creates an abstract pattern on the corner and two sides of the 6"x8" float frame. Coordinate it with the pattern in the fabric or chose another design. Pipe on the paint and then allow to dry thoroughly.
Gem Frame: Evenly space gems along the middle of the oval frame. Glue them in place. Allow to dry thoroughly before moving frames.
1.Cover work area with cardboard.
2. Lay frames right side down on the cardboard. If a frame is thinner than another frame add another piece of cardboard under that frame so backs are flush.
3. Lay out the brackets across the frames and nail them in place with the nails provided in the bracket kits (FIG B).