Enamel Blue Tie Dye T-Shirt
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Rit® Color Perfect: Enamel Blue
- Rit® Color Perfect Color Stay Dye Fixative
- White T-shirt with lace trim
- Medium-sized plastic bin
- Elmer's® School Glue Gel
- Plastic wrap
- Rubber gloves
- Plastic table cover
- Spray bottle with water
1. Lay a plastic table cover over work space.
2. Dot Elmer's® School Glue Gel on different parts of the lace trim on the T-shirt. Apply glue in any random pattern. The Elmer's® Glue acts as a resist, stopping the dye from being absorbed into that part of the fabric, giving the shirt extra spots of white after it is dyed. Allow glue to dry.
3. Wet the T-shirt with hot water from the tap. Fold in a random way and place in the plastic bin.
4. Wearing rubber gloves, affix the pour top onto the bottle of Rit® Color Perfect Enamel Blue dye. Screw on tightly and shake to mix the dye solution thoroughly. Open the pour top by turning it like a glue bottle. Pour in random stripes around the T-shirt and allow time for dye to absorb into the fabric. For the best effect, don't pour too much. Remember that the dye will migrate and spread across the fabric. After pouring the dye, spritz the T-shirt with water to get the dye to spread further.
5. After about 10 minutes, wrap the t-shirt in plastic wrap while in its folded state. Place the wrapped t-shirt in the microwave for 45 seconds. This helps heat set the dye in the t-shirt.
6. Rinse the plastic bin to clean it of excess dye. Remove the t-shirt from the microwave, throw away the plastic wrap. Unfold the t-shirt over the now clean plastic bin. Spray Rit® Color Perfect Color Stay Dye Fixative on the t-shirt, thoroughly covering it. Let sit for 20 minutes.
7. Rinse T-shirt in the sink until the water runs clear. Wash by hand or in the washing machine with an old towel. Air dry or throw in the dryer.