Exotic Gypsy Bag
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- One 5-pc bundle Fabric Central Exotic Quarters
- 3/4 yd fabric for lining
- 2 yds 1/2" cotton cording
- 1-1/2 yds lightweight fusible interfacing
- Rotary cutter, mat & acrylic ruler
- Iron & ironing surface
- Marking pencil
- Large safety pin
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
1/4" seam allowance unless otherwise noted.
- Fabric Central Quarters
- Fabric A: two 9"x18"front/back
- Fabric B: two 9"x18"front/back
- Fabric C: one 9"x9"(pocket)
- Fabric D: two 2-1/2"x9-1/2"pocket flap (Diagram 1 - layout); three 2-1/4"x21" handles; two from pattern bag bottom
- Fabric E: two 5"x18"front/back; two from pattern bag sides
- Lining Fabric: 2 bag front/back lining pattern; 2 bag bottom lining pattern; 2 bag sides lining pattern
- Interfacing: two 18"x22"bag front/back; one 9"x9" pocket; one 2-1/2"x9-1/2" pocket flap; 2 bag bottom pattern; 2 bag sides pattern
- Bag Front & Back: enlarge pattern; cut out each piece. Copy 2 of the main bag piece & align PLACE ON FOLD lines to make a full pattern. Pre-piece bag front by sewing a Fabric A & B 9"x18" piece on each side of the Fabric E 5"x18" piece (Diagram 2). Press seams away from center. Repeat to make back panel. Following manufacturer's instructions, apply fusible interfacing to the wrong side of bag front & back pieces. Wrong sides together and side colors opposite of each other, layer pieced panels, aligning them top & bottom. Center bag pattern, pin & cut out bag front & back (Diagram 3).
- Pocket & Flap: following manufacturer's instructions, apply fusible interfacing to the wrong side of 1 pocket (9"x9") and flap (2-1/2"x9-1/2") piece. Fold 9"x9" pocket in half, wrong sides together. Sew 1/4" from raw edges, leaving 3" open to turn. Clip corners. Turn pocket right side out through opening, push out corners; press. Layer the two 2-1/2"x9-1/2" flap pieces with right sides together; stitch around sides, leaving 3" opening on 1 side to turn. Clip corners. Turn flap right side out through opening, push out corners; press. With folded edge at top, center pocket on bag front 3" from bottom & pin. Stitch next to the edge on sides and bottom. Stitch down the center to divide the pocket into 2 sections. Center flap 1" above pocket, overlapping the pocket 1/4" and topstitch 1/8" from top edge to secure. (Diagram 4).
- Handles: cut one 2-1/4"x21" Fabric D pieces in half, making two 10-1/2" strips. Sew a 2-1/4"x10-1/2" and 2-1/4"x 21" piece together on the short side. Make two 30" strips. Fold each strip in half lengthwise; stitch a 1/4" seam. Use safety pin to turn tubes right side out. Cut cording into 2 pieces 1" shorter than the tube. Wrap tape around cording before cutting, and cut through the center of the tape to keep it from fraying. Attach safety pin to 1 end of cording & feed through each tube. Leave 1/2" of fabric extending beyond each end of the cording & stitch across the end.
- Sides & Bottom: following manufacturer's instructions, apply fusible interfacing to the wrong side of the 2 bottom & side pieces. Right sides together, sew bottom pieces together along straight edge; press seam open. Pin side pieces to bag front; begin at bottom and match small dots at top and stitch (Diagram 5). Press seams to 1 side. Repeat to attach sides to bag back. Pin bottom piece to bag sides, front & back by aligning dots at sides & center front/back. Pin well, adjusting edge of bag to fit curve of bottom piece (Diagram 6). Stitch with the bag side up & bottom against the feed dogs. Turn bag right side out.
- Make lining by cutting a front & back from pattern used in Step 1. Follow Step 5 to add sides & bottom. When sewing, leave 5" opening along 1 side seams to turn.
- Final Assembly: place bag into lining, right sides together. Pin around top edge & tabs aligning seams. Stitch around top edge (Diagram 7). Clip curves & corners of tabs. Turn bag right side out through opening in lining with tab corners pushed out. Slip stitch closed. Press well. Fold each tab to the inside 1-1/4"; topstitch next to edge. Feed each handle through the channels & knot at the end of the handle. (Diagram 8). Finished size 18"x22".