Exposed Zipper Back Dress
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Coats Fashion Closed Bottom Zipper: 22”, Black
- Dual Duty All-purpose thread, to match fabric
- Light-weight fusible interfacing, 17” x 1” strips- 2
- Dress pattern with center back seam
- Fabric and interfacing required by pattern
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron and pressing surface
- Cut out dress back using pattern.
- Mark the end of the zipper, below the bottom stop on the seamline. Place another mark ½” above the first mark on the seamline.
- Trim away the seam allowance stopping at the first marking.
- Place a strip of interfacing against the fabric, wrong sides together, along the trimmed edge of garment back, extending past the marking for the end of the zipper. Fuse in place. Transfer marking to interfacing.
- With zipper closed, pin the right side of the zipper face down to the right side of the fabric with the edge of the zipper tape on the cut edge of the fabric. Place zipper foot on machine. Stitch ¼” from zipper teeth, stopping at the end of the bottom stop. Pin the other side of the zipper tape face down the right side of the remaining garment section and stitch ¼ “ from zipper teeth stopping at end of bottom stop.
Hint: When stitching past zipper pull, lower needle into fabric, lift presser foot and unzip the zipper. Lower presser foot and stitch an inch or two, then close zipper.
- Place regular presser foot on machine. Pin together remaining part of center back seam and stitch center back seam together, beginning just below the marking for the end of the zipper. Press seam open.
- Fold the lower part of garment back up at the bottom stop of zipper, right sides together, exposing the end of the zipper tape and the seam allowances at the top of the center back seam. Clip the seam allowance diagonally toward the end of the stitching on the zipper so that the seam allowances will lie flat.
- Stitch across the extended zipper tape and seam allowances, stopping and starting at the end of the zipper stitching (1/4” on either side of the zipper bottom stop).
- Press zipper carefully.
- Follow pattern instructions to complete garment.