SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 3/8 yd fabric
- Dritz® Sewing Notions:
- 5/32" Natural Twist Cord
- 5/8" Ruffle Elastic
- Belle Buttons™
- Wash Away™ Wonder Tape
- Liquid Stitch™
- Hem gauge
- Polyester fiberfill
- Sewing machine
- Ruler or tape measure
- Needle & thread
NOTE: These instructions and quantities are for the 6" brown pumpkin. The orange pumpkin requires a 26" x 15" cut of fabric. The purple pumpkin fabric is 24" x 18". Both require a longer cut of cording.
- Cut 22-1/2" x 13" fabric rectangle.
- Using hem gauge, press and stitch a 1/4” hem across the top of the 22-1/2” edge.
- Fold the fabric in half widthwise with RS together, and stitch the two 13” sides together.
- Change machine to a long basting stitch. Keeping RS together, stitch unfinished edges together, leaving tails. Gently pull the bobbin thread to gather as snuggly as possible. Tie the top thread and bobbin thread together at each end to hold.
- Switch the machine back to a straight stitch and stitch across the gathered edge to secure.
- Turn the fabric RS out and fill with fiberfill.
- Thread needle with a 30" piece of thread. Wax thread to prevent tangling. Leaving a 2-3" tail, take 1/4" stitches in top hem, working all the way around. Pull both loose thread ends to close the opening as tight as possible. Tie a knot to secure. Stitch across the top of the pumpkin to bring gathered edges together.
- Cut a 25" piece of cording and unwind the three strands that create the cord. Set two strands aside. Unwind remaining strand into its three strands. Tie two of these strands together by tying a knot in the ends.
- To shape, place the pumpkin on top of the knot with the two strands laying in opposite directions. Grab the two strands and bring them to the top of the pumpkin. Strands should start wrapping around pumpkin at the 3 and 9 o’clock positions.
- Twist the strands around each other at the top of the pumpkin and pull to bunch up pumpkin. Position the strands at 1 and 7 o’clock and wrap back down around pumpkin. Flip the pumpkin upside down to bring strands to bottom of pumpkin. Twist and pull strands.
- Repeat the twisting and bunching in the 5 and 11 o’clock position.
- Tie all the layers of cording together to secure. Trim excess cording. Fluff and adjust cording as needed to make pumpkin even.
- Cut ruffle elastic into four 9” pieces. Make a loop with each elastic piece by securing the ends together with a tiny piece of the Wash Away™ tape.
- Lay all four loops of elastic on top of each other. Pierce ends with threaded needle. Rotate each loop to make a circle. Stitch the layers together.
- Glue the ruffle elastic base to the top of the pumpkin with Liquid Stitch™. Glue buttons or embellishments on top. Allow to dry.
Seam allowances are 1/4". RS = right sides. WS = wrong sides.
Items in This Collection
Item # 1776624
Available for U.S. Shipping Only