Fabric Selection Tips when Sewing for Children
- Select a fabric that:
- Is easy to care for, since children’s clothing needs frequent washing.
- Doesn’t need much ironing.
- Is comfortable to wear, stretches for easy movement if appropriate for the pattern and is not scratchy against the child’s skin.
- Is appropriate for planned use. Some fabrics indicate on the end of the bolt that it is not appropriate for sleepwear. For the child’s safety, adhere to the warnings on the bolt.
- Refer to the ends of the bolt for valuable care, width and fiber content information.
- Children grow fast. Measure the child before fabric shopping to be sure the right size pattern and right amount of fabric is purchased.
- As with all patterns, follow the advice for fabric choice listed on the back of the pattern envelope.