Fabric USA Map
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 yd each of canvas, backing & batting
- 15 or more Fat Quarters™ or scraps of quilt cottons in assorted colors for the states
- 1-1/4 yd for border, binding & casing
- Heat'n Bond®
- Map of United States
- Matching thread
- Darker thread to use for outlining map
- Perle Cotton #5 & large eyed needle
- 1/2" wide rod for hanging
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
- Enlarge map of United States to desired size.
- Tape map to window with right side facing out.
- Use enlarged map as pattern to trace each state using HeatnBond.
- Cut out each state from Heat'n Bond®, fuse to fabric and cut out.
- Fuse states to the canvas background as they would appear on the map.
- Straight stitch around each state in coordinating thread.
- Leaving about a 2" space around map, trim excess fabric.
- Cut four 3" x width strips of fabric for border.
- Stitch border to sides, top and bottom of canvas using a 1/4" seam.
- Press seam towards border.
- Layer backing, batting and map. Pin.
- With darker thread sew around the entire map, using a straight stitch or satin stitch.
- Cut four 2-3/4" x width strips of fabric for binding. Sew binding to border.
- For casing measure the back of finished piece.
- Cut 1 strip 4" by measurement of back.
- Fold 1/4" on each short end, press. Fold again and press. Sew.
- With right sides together sew 1/4" seam along long edge. Turn, press.
- Place one edge of casing along seam line of binding. Stitch close to edge of casing.
- Stitch close to edge of remaining side of casing.
- Using a running stitch, handsew travels across map.
Items in This Collection