Supplies & Tools:
- 1 yd Fabric for straps, top band & bottom of bag
- 1 3/4 yds Bottomweight fabric for main squares & lining
- 1/2 yd each 2 Contrasting wool fabrics
- One 12" Plastic canvas circle
- 1 pkg Curtain grommets (8 total grommets)
- Basic sewing supplies
Note: 1/2" seam allowance used throughout project. The squares are sewn with seams showing on outside. Top and bottom seams are sewn with regular seams to inside.
- From main fabric, cut sixty-three 3 1/2"
squares, one 36"x11 1/2" rectangle
and one 12" circle.
- From one contrasting fabric,
cut twenty-seven 3 1/2" squares.
- From second contrasting fabric,
cut thirty-six 3 1/2" squares.
- From top band fabric, cut one 36"x7" ? rectangle, one 3 1/2" x width of fabric and one 3 1/2"x1/2 width of fabric rectangle (for continuous strap) and one 12" circle.
2. Layer the squares with the main fabric on back of 2. a contrasting fabric. Sew squares together with main fabrics facing each other, seams on outside. Sew 1/2" seam starting and stopping 1/2" in from both sides. Make 9 strips of 7 alternating contrast blocks. Sew these strips together on point to form a fabric rectangle. Trim top and bottom points to make edges even.
3. With wrong sides together, stitch bag together 3. along side creating a large tube, remembering to keep seams on outside. Stitch the 12" circle with right sides together (make normal seam) to bottom of tube, easing fullness as needed.
4. Fold top rectangle band in half lengthwise with 4. wrong sides together. With raw edges even, sew to top of bag.
5. Tack 12" circle of plastic canvas to seam allowance 5. at bottom of bag.
6. Sew side seam of lining, leaving an opening for 6. turning. Sew 12" circle to bottom of lining. With right sides together, place lining over outside of bag. With raw edges together, sew lining to raw edge of bag and band. Turn bag through opening of lining. Whipstitch opening closed. Press upper edge of bag.
7. Following manufacturer's instructions, apply 7. grommets to top of bag. Make sure grommets are evenly spaced.
8. To make continuous strap, sew both 3 1/2" strips 8. together on short end. Press 1/2" along each long edge. Fold with pressed edges together and wrong side together. Topstitch 1/8" along each long edge leaving a 4" edge unstitched at each short end. Weave strap through grommets. Adjust the length of the strap, cutting off to make strap shorter if needed. With raw edges even, stitch short edges together. Fold and complete topstitching along each long edge.
back to top