Family Reunion Time Capsule
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Ready-to-finish wooden box or trunk
- Acrylic paints
- Decoupage papers
- Scrapbooking papers
- Photographs of choice
- Ready-to-finish wooden letters
- Embellishments of choice: buttons, stars, etc.
- Small acrylic frames
- Craft glue
- Spray varnish
- Decorate a ready-to-finish wooden box or trunk. To make the Time Capsule Trunk pictured, use a wooden box and apply acrylic paint colors that coordinate with the reunion theme; let dry.
- Glue on wooden letters to spell out the family name and spray the box with spray varnish to protect the surface.
- Layer acrylic frames with scrapbook paper and insert photos of choice. Glue frames onto box along with buttons, stars and letters to personalize it.
SPECIAL FAMILY REUNION TIPS:
- To make your family reunion time capsule more memorable and personal, be sure to include a scrapbook journal from the day. Get a ready-made, spiral-bound Foamies album and tuck a pen into the spirals. Glue a personalized title on the front cover. Decorate with Foamies stars and colorful ribbon tied to every other spiral.
- Have children at the reunion create artwork with their handprints and writing. Make a "handprint book" out of white paper mounted on colored cardstock. Use washable paints and paint brushes to paint the childrens' hands. Washable markers are perfect for adding drawings, names and dates. Finish up by punching a hole in the top corner of each, then place a ring through the holes; decorate with colorful ribbons. Put these pieces of art in the trunk and enjoy years later.
- Choose a theme or color and have all decorations, tableware and prizes relate to it. Take your cue from the time of year, a holiday, etc.
- Create a foam board "welcome" poster and display it on an easel for all to see as they arrive. Attach pinwheels or balloons to the poster and be prepared to detach them to give to the children. Include the schedule of activities and locations for those who forgot their invitations with the same info. Prepare the poster with the color/theme of the reunion.
- Create name cards for the tables for mealtime. When placing them, separate immediate family members a little to encourage conversation with relatives they don't see every day. Attach a small favor or treat to the name card. Hide a number on the back or inside for door prizes.
- Display the time capsule trunk prominently at the reunion and encourage attendees to place items inside for the next time. Have everyone autograph inside the box or lid with a permanent marker.