SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/4 yd linen hopsack
- 1/4 yd organza
- 1 yd rattail cording
- Decorative thread
- Scrap of polyester batting
- Sewing machine, free motion foot, basic sewing supplies
- Stiff straight pin or T-pin
- Candle & matches
1. From linen hopsack cut two 4" circles. Layer the circles together, fold in half, then in half again. Hold the folded corner; cut heart shape from 1 folded edge to the other with the corner as the bottom of the heart. Open & pin together two flower-shaped pieces. Trim petals. Use stiff straight pin or T-pin to roughen outer edges of each flower. Stick pin in the fabric 1/8" from edges & pull to the outside. Repeat on 2nd flower using two 3" circles.
2. Set up sewing machine with decorative thread; drop the feed dogs; put on free motion foot.
3. From batting cut one 3½" & one 2½" circle. Fold each as the flower in Step 1; cut out flower shape. Layer 3½" batting flower between layers of 4" linen flower; align petals & pin to hold. Star at the center of the flower; free motion a straight stitch up & around one petal 1/8" from the edge & back to the center. Sew next petal the same way. Sew around each petal. Sew each petal two more times. Repeat with the smaller batting and linen pieces.
4. From organza cut five 4" circles, three 3" circles & six 2½" circles. Stack 2 or 3 circles of the same size. Fold & cut the flower shapes as in Step 1. Cut all organza circles into flower shapes.
5. Light the candle. Carefully hold the edge of one organza flower near the side of the flame until the edge starts to melt & curl. Turn flower & slightly melt the perimeter. Allow edge of flower to be uneven. Flame & melted flower edges are hot, so use tweezers to hold organza flowers near flame. Repeat on all organza flowers.
6. Stack one 4", one 3" & one 2½" organza flower on top of each other with the smallest on top. Thread a hand sewing needle; tie a knot at the end of the thread. Start in the top center; poke the needle down through the organza layers; pull knot tightly against the flower stack. Pinch flowers at the bottom center to form ruffled flower shape. Sew pinched end together 1/4" from the tip. Make 2 more flowers. Stack & sew three 2½" organza flowers in the same way.
7. Layer large linen flower, two 4" organza flowers, smaller linen flower & smallest organza flower. Sew layers together in the center. Sew three organza flowers to underside of bottom linen flower so they show at the edge. Cut rattail cording into 3" & 4" pieces; fold to form loops. Sew loops in place on the bottom of the large flower. Sew flower cluster to the headband.