Fancy Buttery Crust Apple Pie
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Wilton® food-crafting supplies:
- Butter Flavor
- 9" Pie Pan
- 6-pc. Pie Crust Cutter Set
- Pie Crust Mold
- 9" Angled Spatula
- 14-1/2"x20" Cooling Grid
- Rolling Pin
- Favorite apple pie filling
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable shortening, cold & cut into 1/4" pieces
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Wilton Butter Flavor
- 6-8 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk or water
Buttery Pie Crust:
- In large bowl, stir flour and salt together. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut shortening into flour until mixture resembles cornmeal. In small bowl, stir together Butter Flavor and 6 tablespoons water until well combined. Stir into flour mixture until mixture holds together in large clumps. Add additional water tablespoon by tablespoon if the dough is still dry. Divide dough into two discs, cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour.
- To make pie, roll first disc to a 14 in. circle, about 1/8" thick. Place in pie plate, pressing firmly into the sides and bottom of the pan.
- Fill bottom crust with prepared filling. Roll second crust to 1/8" thick; cut holes to vent filling with small cutter. Place crust over filling and press edges of top and bottom crusts together tightly.
- Make decorative pie crust edge. Roll dough into log, the same size as pie crust mold. Lightly flour mold and press dough into mold cavity. Use a spatula to carefully trim off excess dough to be level with the mold. Press dough down again, if needed. Carefully remove dough from mold. Make egg wash combining 1 egg and 1 tablespoon milk or water. Brush egg wash on pie crust to attach dough edges.
- Bake until crust is golden brown.
- Makes enough dough for 1 double-crust pie.