Faux Woven Scarf
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Zigzag sewing machine Ultra Solvy, 8" Roll
- 90/14 Universal needle Polyester invisible thread, Smoke
- Felt pad for vertical spool pin Holoshimmer metallic thread
- Basic sewing supplies Rayon thread
- Optional feet: wide or narrow braiding, ribbon or Lion Brand Lion Suede Yarn: multicolor, at least 35 yds. piping foot, open toe applique foot/Teflon foot
- Set stitch length and width to 3.0; top tension on 2.5-3.0; and presser foot pressure on 4.5 if applicable.
- Wind a bobbin slowly with polyester invisible thread. Thread the top of the machine with Holoshimmer metallic thread using the vertical spool pin.
- To make the circular scarf, cut the Ultra Solvy 36"-40" long, overlap the two 8" edges about 1/2" and straight stitch them together with polyester invisible thread in the needle and the bobbin. Optional straight scarf 7-1/2"x45", cut the 8" Ultra Solvy 45" long.
- Starting at the overlapped or short edge and 1/2" from the long edge, straight stitch a flat decorative yarn or braid lengthwise all the way around the edge of the Ultra Solvy until you get back to the starting point. For the optional straight scarf, sew from end to end, turning to go back about 1/2" from the end. Angle the yarn 90 degrees and, without cutting it, stitch it down for about 1/2"-3/4"; then turn another 90 degrees and stitch down another long row. Don't worry about twists in the yarn or uneven rows, they add texture and interest to the finished scarf. To add more yarn simply overlap the cut ends and continue sewing. Continue pattern until you get 1/2" from the other outer long edge.
- Turn the Ultra Solvy 90 degrees and continue adding the same yarn in the same manner, crossing previously stitched lengthwise yarn. Angle the yarn 90 degrees at the end of each row, stitch about 1/2" to 3/4", then turn another 90 degrees and stitch another row back across the Ultra Solvy. Continue pattern until you get 1/2" from the point of beginning.
- Once the rows of flat yarn have been sewn over the Ultra Solvy lengthwise and widthwise, use Holoshimmer metallic and/or rayon thread to add rows of straight stitching or narrow, open zigzag stitching in between the rows of yarn. You may also add other decorative threads, ribbons, cords or yarns by zigzagging over them with an open stitch that is no wider than whatever you are attaching.
- When you have filled the Ultra Solvy with as many yarns, threads, ribbons, etc., as you want, remove the Ultra Solvy by submerging the project in warm water for 10 to 15 minutes. Because Ultra Solvy is quite heavy, rub it with your fingers to help dissolve it. Rinse well with running water. Lay flat to dry. If the scarf seems stiff when it is dry, repeat the removal process. If needed, iron the scarf at a temperature that is appropriate for the yarns used.