Felted Storyteller Tote
About 13” x 14”, not including strap
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
• LION BRAND® FISHERMEN'S WOOL®
Natural 1 skein (A) or color of choice
• LION BRAND® BONBONS
Brights 1 pack (B) or color of choice
• LION BRAND® large-eyed blunt needle
Circular knitting needle size 8, 36 in. long
Tailor's chalk in blue (or another color that will show up on lighter color felt)
Sewing needle and thread
Sharp embroidery needle with large eye
Rotary cutter, metal ruler and cutting mat (optional)
Tear away stabilizer (optional)
EXACT GAUGE IS NOT ESSENTIAL FOR THIS PROJECT.
1. Tote is worked in several steps. First, yarn A is knit in St st (k on RS, p on WS) on circular needle to make a large piece. This large piece is then felted. Rectangles, strip and Octagon are cut from the felted fabric and then embroidered. Octagon is sewn to one rectangle. Rectangles are joined together to make the bag using embroidered blanket stitch. Long strip for strap is edged in blanket stitch and then sewn to bag. Strands of B are braided and sewn to strap.
2. A circular needle is used to accommodate the large number of sts. Work back and forth on circular needle as if working on straight needles.
Before beginning, cut a 20 yd. length of A and set aside for finishing embroidery on Tote.
With A, cast on 110 sts.
Work in St st (k on RS, p on WS), working back and forth on circular needle as if working on straight needles, until almost all yarn has been used.
Bind off. Weave in ends.
Wash piece by machine on a hot wash/cold rinse cycle with detergent and several pieces of clothing to agitate. Pull into shape, then allow piece to dry thoroughly.
We found it easiest to cut with a rotary cutter and ruler on a cutting mat. If you prefer to cut with scissors, draw the rectangles onto the felt with tailor’s chalk and a ruler, then cut with scissors along the marked lines.
1. Cut a 30 x 1 ½”. piece for Strap.
2. Cut 2 rectangles each 13 x 14” for Tote Front and Back.
3. Trace the Octagon shape onto tissue paper, then cut out along marked line.
Pin the traced shape onto the felt. With scissors, cut the felt just outside the edge of the tissue pattern.
The next step is to embroider the Octagon.
1. The Tote design is meant to encourage creativity allowing you to tell ‘your’ story. Choose desired motif from design motif patterns -
L30043 – Friends and Family
L30044 – Nature
L30045 – Just for Fun
L30046 – Letters
L30047 – Numbers
L30052 – Animals
Change the size of the motif as you like, or use your own designs!
2. Trace desired motif onto tissue paper or tear away stabilizer then cut it out, leaving a border outside the traced lines. With sewing needle and thread, baste this piece of tissue paper onto the Octagon. Be sure to keep your basting stitches away from the traced lines of the motif.
3. Using embroidery sts as desired, and colors from the B yarn pack as desired, embroider motif onto the Octagon. We used simple embroidery sts – French knots, back stitch, straight stitch and stem stitch.
4. Clip the basting threads. If you used tissue paper, dampen the tissue lightly then carefully remove the paper, leaving your embroidery stitches intact.
5. To remove stabilizer, follow the package directions.
6. With embroidery needle and B yarn color as desired, work blanket st around the outside edge of Octagon.
With A length that you set aside, work blanket st around entire outside edge of strap and across one short (top) edge of both Back and Front. Pin embroidered octagon to center of Front. Working behind the blanket stitches and using sewing needle and thread, sew Octagon to center of Tote Front piece.
With WS together (so that RS are facing out), pin Front and Back of Tote together. With remainder of A length that you set aside, work blanket st through both layers to join side and bottom edges of Tote.
With sewing needle and thread, sew one end of strap to each side of Tote, overlapping the top edge by about 1 ½”.
Cut 4 strands, each 54 in. long, of 6 different colors of B. Divide strands into 3 groups of 2 colors (8 strands) each. Tie strands together about 4 in. from one end, and braid. When braid measures same as length of Strap, knot ends. Trim ends to 3 in. for tassels. With sewing needle and thread, sew braid to strap.
k = knit
p = purl
RS = right side
st(s) = stitch(es)