Flirty Floral Handbag & Cosmetic Bag
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/2 yd Tutti Frutti fabric, multi-colored floral on aqua
- 3/4 yd Tutti Frutti fabric, aqua floral on green
- 1-1/4 yds Tutti Frutti fabric, green print
- 2 yds heavy weight fusible interfacing
- 12" zipper
- Sewing thread & basic sewing notions
- Sewing machine
- Make the pattern for the handbag and cosmetic bag. Join the pieces as indicated in the figures at the end of this document for the bag handle and the bag side. To make the pattern for the handle, join bag handle A to the top of handle B and B to the top of handle C.
- Cut fabric for the handbag using the patterns. When cutting pieces for the sides, place the edge indicated on the fold of the fabric. Cut two sides from the multi-colored floral, centered over the floral motif (floral motif will be folded). From the aqua floral, cut two lining sides, one 4"x34" lining gusset, one 8"x6" pocket, two handle lining pieces and two 4-3/4"x12-1/2" top pieces. Cut two handles (the entire pattern) from the green print. Cut two sides, two handles and two 2"x12-1/2" pieces from interfacing.
- Cut fabric for the cosmetic bag using the patterns. Cut two 7"x2-1/2" strips from the multi-colored floral. Cut two sides for lining and two 2"x18" gussets from the aqua floral. Cut two sides from the green print. Cut two sides and a gusset from the fusible interfacing.
- When making the handbag sew all seams, right sides together, using a 1/2" seam allowance.
- Trim 1/4" from edges of interfacing for sides and handle. Use iron to fuse interfacing to wrong side of sides.
- Fuse interfacing to wrong side of handles. Stitch the two handle pieces together along straight ends.
- Match center seam of handle to center of lower edge of a side piece. Pin handle to edge of sides, right sides together, clipping seam allowance of handle to fit along the curve. Stitch seam beginning and ending at dot 1/2" from top edge. Repeat, pinning and stitching the other edge of the handle to the remaining side. Clip seam allowance of handle at ends of stitching. Press seams.
- Fold top pieces in half lengthwise with right sides out. Press lightly. Open out top pieces and fuse interfacing strip to wrong side, along one edge of fold. Fold top pieces in half and baste 3/8" from raw edges.
- Stitch folded edge of top pieces to sides of zipper using a zipper foot.
- Stitch handle lining to ends of top piece, right sides together, beginning and ending seam 1/2" from edges.
- Press under 1/4" along one 8" top edge of pocket. Then fold under a 1" hem. Stitch 1/2" from side edges. Clip corner and turn top edge right side out. Press under top hem and 1/2" along sides and lower edge.
- Center pocket on one lining side piece about 3-1/4" from top edge and stitch along sides and lower edge of pocket. Stitch along center of pocket to make two small pockets.
- Sew lining gusset to lining sides in the same manner.
- Place lining inside bag and baste lining to top edge of sides.
- Turn bag wrong side out. Pin raw edges of top to edge of sides. Pin handle lining to handles. Stitch top and lining to bag. Zigzag finish seam allowance of top and sides. Stitch handle lining to handles on long sides. Trim and clip seam allowance of handles.
- Turn handles and bag right side out. Press handles flat. Stitch along seam between top and handle lining.
- Tie ends of handles to make a knot, turning the fabric so lining print shows.
- When making the cosmetic bag as described in steps 19 through 26 below, stitch all seams right sides together using a 1/2" seam allowance.
- Trim 1/2" from top edge of side interfacing pieces. Trim 1/4" from sides and lower edges. Fuse interfacing to wrong side of side pieces.
- Press under 1/4" on multi-colored floral strips. Place strips in center of each side and stitch along edges.
- Stitch lining pieces to sides along straight top edge. Trim seam allowance and fold lining to wrong side. Press seam.
- Stitch finished edge of sides to sides of zipper using a zipper foot.
- Fuse gusset interfacing centered on wrong side of one gusset piece. Place gusset pieces together, right sides out, and baste 1/4" from edges.
- Clip seam allowance to dots on sides. With right sides together, pin one edge of gusset to a side edge matching dot on side to 1/2" from end of gusset piece. Clip edge of gusset along curve of sides to match seam lines. Stitch seam between dots.
- Repeat other side. Stitch remaining top edge to ends of gussets. Trim and zigzag finish seam allowance.
- Turn bag right side out. Shown at half size. Shown at half size. Shown at half size. Shown at half size.