SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1½ yards Fabric for flower petals
- ¾ yard Fabric for background
- One 16" x 16" gallery stretched canvas
- ½ yard Peltex Fabric Stabilizer
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron and pressing surface
- Staple gun or fabric glue
- Optional: Olfa Circle Cutter
1. Cut fifty-eight 5" circles from fabric for flower petals. With right sides together stitch two circles together using a scant ¼" seam allowance and small stitch length. Make a small slit in the center of one of the circles. Turn and press. Set aside for flower center.
2. To make a flower petal, fold a fabric circle in half with right sides together. Stitch around the arc. Make a small slit at the fold and turn. Press. Make 56.
3. Cut a 12" circle from the Peltex Fabric Stabilizer. Mark a ring ¾" from the outside edge. With flat edge along drawn ring and curved edges facing out, stitch eight flower petals to the stabilizer circle. Place a second round of eight flower petals alternating the placement of the first round. Stitch in place.
4. Hand-gather each of the remaining flower petals. For Round 3, place eight petals around, adjusting gathers as needed. Stitch in place. Each round is approximately ¾" inside of the previous round. Repeat for Rounds 4 through 6.
5. For Round 7 use five gathered flower petals, spacing evenly.
6. Round 8 uses three gathered flower petals.
7. To make the center of the flower, tightly hand-gather the center of the pieced circle. Stitch to center of flower.
8. Cut a 22" square from the background fabric. Cover stretched canvas with the square bringing raw edges to the back of the canvas. Glue or staple in place.
9. Place flower as desired on covered canvas. Glue or handstitch in place.