Fly Away Butterfly Paper Lanterns
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Aleene's® Always Ready Original Tacky Glue®
- Tulip® One-Step Dye®: Violet
- Paper lanterns (assorted sizes)
- White paper
- Butterfly template of choice (drawn or printed from computer)
- Plastic bowl for dye mixing
- Shallow plastic or foam plates
- Disposable plastic table cover
1. Cover work surface with a plastic table cover. Mix dye according to package instructions.
2. In a plastic bowl, mix a small amount of dye with additional water to create a light dilution of violet. Test color on a scrap paper and add additional water or dye to achieve desired light shade of violet.
3. Pour diluted dye onto one plate and full-strength dye onto another.
4. Dip lanterns into diluted dye in random fashions. Hang to dry.
5. Dip lanterns a second time into full-strength dye and hang to dry.
6. While lantern dries, begin cutting out butterflies. Trace or print butterfly template onto standard white paper and cut out as many butterflies as desired. This project used approximately 45 butterflies.
7. Once lanterns are dry, begin gluing the butterflies to the lantern using Quick Dry Tacky Glue®. For this project the butterflies were grouped together in one area from top to bottom.
8. Hold the butterfly in place for a few seconds and repeat until all butterflies are adhered. Cut out and glue additional butterflies as necessary for desired coverage and design.
9. Hang lanterns to dry for at least 2 hours.