Foamies Island Girls
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Foamie®: green – 2 shades, yellow
- 2 pkgs. Foamie® Shapes, Flowers & Ladybugs
- Colored wooden beads
- Rattail, pink
- Raffia – green, curly
- Hole punch
- Crochet hook
- Scotch tape
- Drill with masonry bit
1. Cut a 1 yard length of rattail. Wrap the ends with scotch tape to make a “needle."
2. Cut Foamie flowers, leaves, squares; punch holes in the squares. Match up the packaged self-adhesive flowers back to back.
3. Place middle shell or bead on the rattail first, and then work outward, adding the same thing to each end so the lei will be symmetrical. Add knots and raffia to the other components, as you work. When the lei is long enough to slip easily over head, tie it off and trim ends.
1. Cut three strips of bright green Foamie, 1/2"x18". Stack the 3 strips and tie securely at one end with green raffia. Braid the 3 strips together and tie the end of the braid securely with raffia.
2. Cut 50 green raffia strands into 7-1/2" lengths. Divide in half. Secure one bundle in the middle with green raffia, and tie securely to one end of the head band. Repeat for the other end.
3. Knot 3 sturdy long lengths of green raffia together at one end. Braid together until it measures 15". Knot and cut, allowing 1-1/2" fringe at end. Attach securely to one end of headband. Repeat for other end.
4. Using a crochet hook, weave 4" lengths of green raffia into the front of the headband.
5. Glue a green Foamie flower to the center of each raffia bundle. Add a flower center of a contrasting color.
6. Cut 6 small leaves from Light Green Foamie. Glue to the center front of headband on the diagonal, spaced about 1" apart. Top with 3 large Foamie flowers, using glue. Add contrasting color flower center.
7. At each end of the 3 flowers, add a small purple Foamie flower and add a pink center.
8. Variation with wooden beads: Intersperse hot pink or red wooden beads among the Foamie flowers. Tie securely to headband with green raffia.
Bracelets (makes 2)
1. Follow steps #1 and #2 for making a headband.
2. Measure to center of braid. Using green raffia, securely tie braid strip 1/2" to the right of middle. Repeat this step 1/2" to the left of middle.
3. Cut through middle of braid to form 2 braid lengths of 7-1/2".
4. Follow step #3 of headband directions to make an 8" braided tie of green raffia. Repeat for remaining ties. Secure to green Foamie braid with green raffia.
5. Follow Step #5 of headband directions.
6. Cut one small green leaf for each bracelet/anklet. Glue to center of bracelet, together with a Foamie flower.
7. Add Foamie flower to each end of bracelet.
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Foamie® – 3-4 large sheets of bright green, red & lime green
- Foamie® stickers, Flowers & Ladybugs
- Assorted seashells
- Grosgrain ribbon: pink
- Embroidery thread & needle
- Curly raffia
- 2 pkgs. green raffia bundle
- Crochet hook
- Tacky glue
- Drill with masonry bit (for drilling holes in sea shells)
1. Measure child’s waist and add 2 yards to the length.
2. Cut individual wavy grass strips, lengthwise, from Bright Green Foamie®. Make each about 1/2" wide, and round off the tops. Sew the rounded end of the strips to the ribbon using the embroidery thread, until it is the desired size.
3. Straighten the Green raffia by wetting it, straightening it with your hands, and then hanging it over a hanger to dry. Using a crochet hook, loop a few strands of raffia through the stitches and tie into a knot. Trim bottom ends to the length of the Foamie® grasses.
4. Cut a Lime Green leaf and a Red flower from Foamie®. Cut 2 small slits at the center of the flower, and thread some green raffia strands through; tie in a knot. Attach a self-adhesive Foamie® flower by pushing it over the knot. Tie some long strands of natural raffia between the flower layers; knot.
5. Drill holes in 12-14 shells and tie them onto the raffia strands. Glue or tie the flower and to the waistband of the skirt, so the shells hang loose.